Chapter 20

I asked Jack if I could try feeding Lavender some baby food and he was more then happy to let me. She's not hard to feed, though when there is something she dislikes, she makes sure you know it.

She likes this though. I think it's something strawberry flavoured. She likes when you do the train sounds and the airplane. I think as long as you make it sound fun, she'll wanna try.

There's a pounding on the door while I've got Lavender in my arms and am burping her. Ava's closest to the door, so she opens it and to our surprise, it's Gabby.

She's not supposed to be here for another three days.

She just about pushes Ava aside as she bursts in, her face so red even before she opens her mouth.

"Give me Lavender, we're leaving."

"I-but-" I'm so stunned that I can't form a single coherant sentance. Not that I have to.

"GIVE ME MY CHILD YOU COLD -BLOODED MURDERER!"

I'm blown back. The colour drains from my face and I take a step away in shock. Cortez bolts from his spot at one of the floor-length back windows, stops at my feet, and stands facing her.

Jack apears as the curly-haired girl snatches the baby from my arms, which causes the poor baby to let out a soul-shattering wail.

"Gabbs, what's going on?" Jack questions, at an absolute loss.

"How could you, Jack?! Honestly, I can't believe you right now!" She snaps. "Where's Lavender's stuff?!"

"It's in our room, Gabby. What the hell's goin on?" Jack asks again, this time with more attitude.

"Did you know she's a convicted felon?" Gabby points to me with hatred, craddling a now crying Lavy in one arm.

"Whoa, Gabby," Jack looks to me this expression that mixes my muddled fear with something else. He doesn't know what to do.

"Did you?!" Gabby shouts.

Syd and Isla make it down the stairs and I feel like I can't breathe.

"Gabby, look, let us explain." Jack puts his hands up now, probably not wanting to make anymore of a scene or upset his baby anymore than what she is.

"Oh my god, you did! You knowingly let our daughter near a murderer!" She growls at the both of us. "What the actual fuck, Jack!"

"Gabby! Would you listen for one minute?!" Jack looses his cool. "Can you just give us one fucking minute?!"

"I don't wanna hear it, Avery! Not a word!" She screams hysterically.

"ENOUGH!"

Everyone stops as Kristin gets to the bottom of the stairs. She has Jack's sisters go up stairs, assesses the situation, and then points to Gabby as the baby wails.

"If you're not willing to listen to what any of us have to say right now, then just leave." Kristin says just above Lavender's gutting weeping. "Don't fight in front of your daughter. Look what you're doing."

"I want Lavender's stuff and then we're gone." Gabby states, then she glares at Jack. "You're not gonna see Lavender again as long as you're with that monster."

"Gabby, -"

"Jack, just go get it. There's no point in arguing right now." Kristin sighs. "You guys can talk about it when things cool down."

Jack breaks and nods, jogging down to the room. He comes back only a minute later with the duffle bag. Gabby rips it away from him and is gone just like that.

There's a long silence and I blank out for it. I'm completly disasociating.

"Addy, look at me," Jack's standing in front of me now.

I flinch hard when his fingers touch the side of my face and tears start to burn down my cheeks. My breaths are short and fast and I have a terribly tight pain in my chest.

"Addy, it's okay. I'm not gonna hurt you." He mumbles, leaving his hand up and slowly, gently pressing it to my cheek.

"Jack, I'm sorry," I whisper, latching onto him and burrying my face into his shoulder. "I'm soo sorry."

His arms wrap around me and hug me tightly.

He holds me until I calm down a little. Then he leans back and wipes away the last of my tears with his thumbs.

"You okay?"

"You're not mad at me?"

His heart seems to break a little more in that moment. "No, baby girl. You didn't do anything wrong."

That's so relieving to hear and I lean into him again, holding on for a few more minutes.

"Hey, how about we go downstairs and put on some music for a few, okay?" He mumbles into my hair.

We do that and then Jack goes upstairs to talk to his mom.

I feel guilty. That whole fight was because of me and what I did. If I hadn't come back here then it wouldn't have happened. Little Lavender wouldn't have had to see her mom and dad screaming at each other because of me.