Chapter 2

************Addy's .P.O.V.

I stand on the sidewalk outside, unsure of where I actually want to go. I just know I want Tez. I have no clue where to start looking and I need to clear my head.

I scare myself because I don't know what I'm capable of. I don't know myself anymore. All I know is that Cortez makes me feel better. He makes me feel safe. He loves me unconditionally and he'll never leave me on his own terms and he'll do anything to protect me. Even if it's protecting me from myself.

I notice someone aproach me and I turn to focus on Jack again.

He's nearly panting, but composes himself. "Hey. Okay. So who's this Cortez we're goin' to look for?"

"He's my dog and I said I didn't want help." I reply, trying my best not to sound like a cold-hearted bitch. But that seems to be what's become of me. "He can't be far and I doubt my sisters actually gave him away."

That's too much work for them. They probably just took him out and told him to find. And Tezzy'll do anything to find me.

"They still get on your nerves?"

"One's hooked on anti-psychotics and prescription meds and the other's a professional internet whore." I mutter. "Yeah, they still get on my nerves."

"Why haven't you moved out yet?"

"On probation and I'm not allowed to be alone for more then a few hours at a time." I reply courtly. I mask my shame with a stoney expression.

Jack purses his lips, pausing as if he expects me to say more.

I pick a direction and start walking, keeping a vigilant eye on my surroundings.

"Hey, Addy?" Jack tries to catch my attention. "Addy, where'd those scars come from?"

I glance down to see him gazing at the thick white lines in my upper arm as well as a few other nasty looking ones that go all the way down to my wrists.

"Got in a fight." I pull my rolled up sleeves down to hide anything else he may see.

He looks completly puzzeled. And for good reason. I was never a fighter before. I was never one to scrap over anything or even shout in an argument.

"Over what?"

"You ask a lot of questions." I grumble.

"I always did. Especially when it's about someone I care about."

I stop, taking a moment to look at Jack from head to toe. "Well you shouldn't care. You have other people to care about."

"Addy..."

"Jack." I level him with a glare. "Stop asking questions and let me find my dog."

He looks down shamefully. "I just... I wanna know what happened to you."

Again, I look over at him over my shoulder. After a moment, I say: "No you don't. The people that need to know know and that's how I want it."

"Jonah knows... if I ask Jonah-"

"He'll never tell you, Jack." I shake my head as if he just called me stupid. "Jonah swore an oath not to speak of it unless given permission."

"An oath..." he echos, at a loss.

I completly ignore him, leaving him standing in the middle of the sidewalk as he tries to piece it together.

I let out a loud whistle and after a few long moments I hear the clicking of claws on cement as Cortez sprints through the streets. He whines happily when he's found me. I praise him for his good work, then clasp his leash onto his working harness which my siblings were too naîve to remove. At least then someone might've reported him as a wandering stray if he didn't have it on.

Cortez is a working dog. He's an emotional support dog, he's trained in protection and in a few specialty areas. No, he's not the perfect dog, but the only reason he acts out at my sisters is because they don't treat him right at all.

Once that's done, I decide to walk him to the vet to have a quick check-up before heading back to Jonah's. By then almost everyone's gone and it's just our old friend group there. Jack, Jonah, Corbyn, Daniel, and Zach.

I let Tez off the leash immediatly and he walks over to greet Jonah before joining me as I quietly make to walk past everyone.

"Hey Addy," Zach decides to speak up. "Nice to see you again."

I offer him a reserved smile. "Hi Zach." And with that I disapear down to the room I'll be sleeping in.

I spend time practicing some of Tezzy's training with him and revising commands.

I have a hard time to fall asleep down here. Nightmares pumble my attempts and in the end I end up heading upstairs and crashing on the couch with Cortez snuggled into my side.