Chapter 8

We've settled downstairs in my room. Jack's put a movie on his phone and we're in the middle of watching it when I start obsessing over a question floating in my mind. The red from the slap hasn't faded yet, but another blush fills my cheeks before I even open my mouth.

"Stay with me tonight?" I ask.

His head snaps towards me and he stares for a moment. Then a smile tugs at the corner of his mouth. "Of course."

We end up under the covers before the film's done. Cortez is curled up on one side of me, Jack on the other. He and I are both laid on our stomachs with the phone propped on the wall between us.

I end up dozing off before Jack, my arm wraped around my dog.

I'm at the old apartment and everything's exactly as I remember. The empty beer bottles are lined up along the counter where I always put them after emptying and rinsing them.

It's just the same as every other day. I spent the majority of the day keeping this place clean. Every time I turn around, there's a new mess that Kyle's left behind. But it keeps me buisy I guess.

"Addison!"

I'm quick to answer back, knowing if I don't Kyle's going to come in here and demand what it is that's more important then him.

"Yes?"

"Come here, I need you."

Dread buries itself deep in my soul and I think for a moment what excuse I can use.

"I gotta finish the dishes before the water gets cold." I answer back.

I hear a creak as he get off his chair in the living room.

His shadow completly swallows mine as he comes up behind me. His arms grab me harshly; squeezing my chest and pushing into my pants.

I gasp, squirming and trying to push his arms away. "Kyle, no. I'm busy."

"I thought we already discussed this." He grumbles into my ear, catching the lobe between his teeth and pinching. "You don't say no to me."

"Please, not right now?" I ask instead.

He ignores me and continues anyway. His hand forces up inside me and I lash out. I wasn't ready and it hurt; opening up a tear inside.

"You bitch!" He curses, holding his jaw where I must've got him with my elbow. "What the fuck!?"

He punches me in the stomach and I double over with an arm pressed against it. He doesn't stop and I push him hard enough he stumbles back and gives me enough space.

I try to make a break for it, but he grabs the back of my shirt and yanks me back. I hit the counter so hard it left a mark across my back that lasted almost two months.

Cold air rushes my legs as my leggings are pulled down and my underwear along with them. His jeans are already at his feet and I reach behind me, desperate for something; anything.

I struggle enough that I'm making it hard for him to do anything besides try and keep me still. I manage to turn in his grasp and my fingers wrap around the handle of something.

I jab it back; intending to hurt him bad enough to make him let go. He does with a grunt and when I look back there's blood pouring out from between his fingers. At the sight, and his angry shout, I black out and suddenly I'm on top of him just thrusting the knife in and out of him.

I stop, my body completly numb. It looks like a scene from a horror movie. Blood's splattered everywhere. All along the cupboards, the floor, the walls. Kyle laying still; dark slits covering his whole body and his abdomin soo mangled that I can actually see his insides spilling out.

I wake up with tears already pouring down my cheeks. My whole body's trembling and I feel an arm tighten around my waist. I bolt away and crash to the ground. My legs have turned to jelly and I can't stand.

"Addy?"

I've pushed myself in the corner beside the bed and pulled my legs to my chest, panicking soo badly that I can't even manage a word.

Cortez's already right beside me and nuzzling at my hands.

"Addy?" Jack asks again; his voice thick with sleep as he sits up.

The blankets swish and after a minute, a hand presses against my leg.

"Don't-don't t-touch me." I stiffen; pulling away harshly.

"Addy, what's wrong?" He questions softly. "Please tell me what's wrong."

"I killed him." My voice crackles and I fight back a sob. "I killed him. Oh god, I killed him."

It's like I'm realizing it all over again. Like I'm reliving the moment that it occured to me exactly what I did. I killed my boyfriend. I killed the man I was supposed to love.

"Hey, shh..." His fingers brush against mine and I peek up at him. "Come here, baby girl. Let me hug you."

I withdraw, still crying. "What if I hurt you? I don't wanna hurt you too."

"You're not gonna hurt me."

"You donno. I donno. She was right." I take a shuddered breath. "No one's safe. I don't trust me."

"Baby." Jack scootches closer; sitting right in front of me and I watch him with a hightened awarness. "I trust you. I know you're not gonna hurt me."

"Why? Why? I don't trust me, why should you?" I question, my breathing becoming a bit less shakey, but the streams still flowing from my eyes.

"Because I do." He replies simply at first. But then he adds; "I trust you because I've never done anything to hurt you, Addy. And Jennifer's done douzens of things and you didn't hurt her back."

I guess he's right. I don't have reason to hurt him... I'd have more than enough reason to lash out at my sister, but I didn't.

"Now come here, sweetheart." He holds his hands out to me, insisting.

I take them and he pulls me into him until I stop crying and shaking. Until I'm left drained and just want to fall back asleep.

He helps me back into bed and Cortez crawls back up with us. This time I lay facing Jack with a hand in his.