Chapter 11

I fidget the whole ride in the passenger seat of Jack's car.

I've not seen or spoken to most of his family in years. The only exception being having seen Sydnie the other night. But last time I seen Ava and especially Isla, they were just little kids.

"Hey," Jack looks over and offers me a sweet smile, taking one hand off the wheel and pulling mine to him. "You don't have to worry, baby."

I study him for a long time; both taking comfort in just how confidant and layed-back he is and adoring his profile.

Jack is gorgeous. He's lost some weight and his face has become more defined, as well as his arms. Even though his hair's not long and curly anymore, it still suits him and if anything, the lightened strands make his eyes and freckles stand out more.

We're there before I know it. The family dog, a gold labradoodle I think, wags her tail happily in the front yard when we pull in.

Cortez is panting like crazy, though. Being that he's got a dark coat, he has a harder time on days when the sun's so strong.

I sit and stare at the house for a while. The place hasn't changed. It's still the beautiful, well-lived, well-cared for home it was the last time I seen it.

"Addy?"

Jack hasn't moved yet either, running his thumb over the back of my hand.

"Hmm?" I hum, still caught in my own little world.

"Everything okay?"

"I didn't think I'd ever come back here again."

My voice comes out quiet and weak. I feel vulnerable and take a deep breath; trying to compose myself. It's hard when this is the place that holds my happiest memories and I've come from such a dark one.

"You want me to wait with you until you're ready to come in?" He offers.

I break and smile at him; a giggle forming in my throat. "What happened to "Imma-get-there-before-you" Avery?"

He chuckles at me. That's something we always used to do. We'd race to the door and whoever got there first got bragging rights. Sometimes we'd up the stakes and make the looser pay for an ice-cream or smoothy or something.

He calms down, finding a response. "I figured I was gonna try being a gentleman for once."

I shake my head, squeezing his hand before letting go and getting out of the car. I open the back door first for Cortez and grab his bag before reaching for my own.

Jack already has it slung on his back, going over and greeting his playful doggy.

I follow and try to squash the thoughts that keep raising in my mind as I get closer to the front door.

Thoughts like I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't be here. These people are too good. They don't need an ex-con walking amoungst them. Knowingly or not.

I can't back out now though. I agreed to come here, so I have to make myself do this. Jack didn't drive all the way back to get me for nothing. So I gather my courage and bite my lip as I shadow him into the entrence.