Chapter 49

ⒿⓊⓃⒺ ①③, ②⓪①⑧

Opening my eyes hurt. It was extremely difficult to move my hands, fingers, toes. It was like I was a statue and was stuck in place. Soft sobs filled the room and a tight grip found its way to my hand.

It took everything I had in me to make my eyes open the slightest bit. Even then they were hardly even slits.

Movement was heard next to me and the sobs became muffled. The grip on my hand started to become loose when I mustered everything up again and squeezed the tiniest bit.

"Wait... wait I just felt her squeeze my hand. She squeezed my hand"

"Is she waking up?"

"Baby? Hey, babygirl? Can you squeeze my hand again? Please?" Zach's voice was broken, vulnerable.

My throat was dry so I couldn't speak. Not only was it dry but it felt like something was in it. It wasn't mucus or anything sick related but there was definitely something there.

"Zach she didn't move. You're just missing her and your mind played tricks"

"No. I swear to god she squeezed my hand. It was light but it was there. You have to believe me"

My other limp hand was grabbed and placed in a warm embrace.

"Adalyn squeeze my hand. Zach said you squeezed his so squeeze mine"

I couldn't though no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do it. I tried opening my eyes again but I got the same result as earlier.

"Her eyes. Did you see that? She tried to open her eyes"

"She's trying to wake up. Daniel go get someone. Doctor, nurse, anyone"

The voices came from every direction making it hard to tell who's who.

"What seems to be the issue?" That was a new voice so I'm guessing the doctor.

"Zach claims that she squeezed his hand then when I asked her to squeeze mine, her eyes fluttered a bit. Is it possible she's trying to wake up?"

My eyes were forced open and a light was shown in them. The doctor forcing my eye open was what I needed. I was able to keep it open while he checked on the other one but it wasn't long before they shut a bit.

I could still see and look around the room and everyone's eyes were on me as I did so.

"She's awake. Just needed a bit of help to open her eyes" the doctor smiled looking at the boys than me. "Welcome back Adalyn. You had these boys worried"

I just nod and blink a few times to make everything less blurry. I try to say something but again nothing came out.

Jonah saw my struggle and got some water for me, holding it against my mouth as I took small sips of it.

The water immediately soothed my sore throat and I was able to make noises. Most of them were really low groans but I was able to answer yes and no questions.

"Are you in any pain?" The older man asked looking down at the chart.

"Yes" it was a low croak but it was a word.

"She speaks" he chuckles writing something down.

"Where and on a scale of one to ten"

"Throat and seven"

"Okay. The pain should go down shortly it's probably hurting because you are just now using your vocal cords again after three days of zero use. Drink plenty of water and that should help it calm down faster. Let me know if y'all need anything"