chapter 26

26

26

When her father finally came back, and Clementine started to gather her stuff, he handed her the keys to the car.

"What?" She asked, not having driven in a long time it was a bold move of him.

"Remember, Clementine, I trust you," he said evenly and very calmly.

"Okay," Clementine took the keys from him, trying not to shake her hands too much she sat at the wheel and waited for her dad to get it.

She was so scared of being at the driver's sear again - both figuratively and literally - but his trust and confidence in turn gave her courage so she slid the key into the ignition and off they went.

A little sharp and bumpy at first, it felt amazing to have control and not be driven by somebody else all the time. She could go anywhere she wanted to! Except, of course, they were going to have to go home considering she was pretty much grounded.

Her mind wandered once she got in the groove of things. How did Jose know? And wouldn't that piece of information hurt her family's business?

Before the next big turn, which Clementine was going to take to go home, her father cleared his throat and said, "take a left. You're going to need a new phone."

She briefly looked at him, before doing so. This meant going into the city, and she hasn't driven much around there before. It was going to be a lot busier, and they were going to be a lot more targeted. But off they went.

Following her father's directions, she realized they were driving into Leblon. A relatively upscale area, and there was probably going to be a valet to take their car anyway.

After a few sharp turns and stops, she finally pulled into a spot in front of the mall where indeed a valet took her keys.

She exhaled loudly and walked with her dad inside the mall. They found a kiosk and Clementine got the same phone she had before - she already had the latest version - and she paid for it. However, she was told it would be impossible to get her phone number again. It would have to be a different one, meaning now that she would never get in touch again with some people. Some people largely being Zico.

Feeling defeated by her overall situation, she walked out of the mall with her dad, head down, when he realized he needed to pick something up quickly for her mother. It was after all nearing Christmas, and it seemed that everyone was rushing to do their last minute shopping. (Clementine already had everything sent to the house).

Nevertheless, she asked the valet to get the car and the keys. When she was waiting, she felt a tap on her shoulder, and turned around thinking it was her dad.

Except it wasn't.

It was Zico.

"Hello," she said, her mouth open in surprise to see him.

"Hello Clementine," Zico said and seeing her surprise turn to pleasure, he continued, " I was on my way to meet someone, but then there you were."

"There I am," Clementine repeated, in awe.

"I actually tried calling you," Zico said casually, his hands in his pocket, "was afraid you're ignoring me."

Clementine was shocked to hear this, considering she thought it was him who was ignoring her.

"Well, this explains it," she motioned to her bag with a new phone, "mine was stolen."

"Oh shit, no way. You got to be careful on these streets," he said with a near smirk, as if it was both an internal joke for him and between the two of them.

Finally, Clementine's car pulled up with the valet and she realized she had to go. Zico, realizing this as well, quickly added.

"Hey, there's a party this Friday. La Bodega Negra. Are you coming?"

"I..." Clementine, seeing her father making his way towards her all the way across the mall, figured she had to end this quick, "I think so. What time?" She asked.

"Not till later. Meet me after midnight. I'll be there." Zico replied back.

Then all at once, he was off and she was in the car, waiting for her dad.

"There we go," her dad said, getting inside the car. "Now I'm good to go. You got everything you need?" He asked absentmindedly, while adjusting his seatbelt.

"I think so."

But this time, Clementine was referring to so much more.