chapter 53

53

53

The next morning, Clementine was determined to redeem herself by going on a run.

She stretched reluctantly, tried drinking lots of water, and reminding herself why she hated working out in the morning and yet why it was good for her, she made it downstairs to the first floor to stretch.

Not expecting to see anyone, she jumped seeing a middle aged man dressed in black sitting in her living room.

"Who are you?!" She exclaimed her heart racing. "What is this? Am I getting kidnapped?"

"Quite the contrary actually. Forgive me, I didn't mean to startle you," he got up and extended his hand to her. "I'm Salvatore, your new bodyguard."

Clementine looked at him questioningly.

"Since when?" She asked, cautiously.

"Since what was supposed to be yesterday but is now today. Your parents hired me while they were, er, out of town," he put his arm back and stay back down.

"So, what am I supposed to do now?" She asked, still a little apprehensive.

"Oh nothing, really," he said "just do whatever you would usually do, and ignore me. I'll be...in the background." Salvatore motioned to nowhere, essentially acting like a shadow now.

"How do I know you're not a kidnapper? Who let you in?" She pressed on.

"They told me you might be like this," he sighed, finding his sunglasses. "Ernesto, I believe was his name."

"And why would I need a bodyguard?" Clementine asked, trying to seem confident.

Salvatore chuckled, "I think you know that better that I do."

"Well, in that case, I hope you're ready for a morning run."

Clementine grabbed a water bottle, her headphones and swiftly ran out the door.

She did't like this or want this, and thought that her parents were definitely going a bit too far. But then, considering the recent events, maybe they had some inkling of what she didn't yet know.

She started on a slow pace, and she thought she lost him, but then a black, inconspicuous vehicle slowly trailed behind her.

She turned her head and Salvatore nodded at her.

"Just keep your distance," she said to him before picking up her pace.

Blasting the music through her headphones now, she felt that maybe she could relax a little now that she had this backup. But she also couldn't help but feel a tighter grip on her freedom. This power her to run faster and farther.

When she got home, Salavatore told her he'd be 'around' if she needed him and told her she could call him anytime, should call him whenever she was going out.

Clementine took a shower, and was glad she had a run. Her mind felt much clearer even though she felt a little tired now physically, mentally she found her motivation.

She remember that it was a day now that Zico texted her and she simply had no idea what to respond, or how.

If he was on some sort of bender, ayahuasca trip, would he even be on his phone?

She felt a sudden sense of discomfort, that this ayahuasca was able to hold a better grasp on him than a woman; than Clementine.

Scrolling through her phone, she found the number of the guy from the day before and felt wave of guilt and regret wash over her. She hated it and didn't know why it was happening.

Yeah I heard of Daime. Kinda missing you but hoping, maybe you can come back and tell me all about it soon.

*Send.*