chapter 12

12

12

If there was one thing Clementine did learn throughout her time on the Brazilian streets, was how to differentiate between 'local' places and 'tourist' places.

She could tell as soon as they went it that this was divinely a 'local' place. No question about it.

The beat pulsed through the dimly lit room. There was a tiny stage above them and a small but fiery and energetic band ripped through the room. Everywhere, there were bodies and movements and music and drink, mixed in with the smoke.

For a moment, Clementine lost herself in the ambiance. It was a bit like a scene from Moulin Rouge.

Zico, seeing the look on her face, leaned in to talk to her over the music.

"Is this what you were expecting?"

"Its better," Clementine responded with a grin on her face.

"Thought you'd like it," the he motioned towards the rest of the group, that was moving inwards to the crowd, "come."

They greeted some people, and were led to an area to the side where it seemed that some tables were reserved for them.

Clementine settled in against the wall, next to Zico, and surrounded by the others.

"Oy, rapazes, what are we having?" Zico yelled out to the general vicinity of the table.

The group settled on a variety of cocktails, taken from a small menu that Clementine couldn't fully understand.

Clementine was just about to mutter an Ill have what you're having, but when Zico ordered, he made it clear he was ordering for the both of them to the cocktail waitress. He said something and pointed at the both of them, telling her to make it a double.

When she left, Zico turned to Clementine and said "figured I'd make it easy for ya, you don't mind?"

Clementine shook her head no and was actually glad he asked.

She would've drank anything he gave her. Sitting next to him, she could feel how brazenly close to her his body was sitting. And so, nothing really mattered for that moment as she was consumed by exactly where she was. The present now.

It didn't matter where she was, or what was going on outside of these walls, or what was waiting for her at home or even who else was there with them.

In her world, it was only them.

While they were waiting for their drinks, chatting away and taking in the scene, Clementine thought he must have felt the same way, because she could sense intuitively that he could sense her.

When the first round of drinks did arrive, Clementine was shocked to see that hey were actually smoking from the glasses. She traced her fingers around the rim of the glass and found that it was also covered in some sort of sugar coating on it.

"Saúde!" Everyone cheered around the table, and as they had the first taste of the sweet alcohol, Zico casually placed his hand on Clementine's thigh under the table.

She jumped at his touch, and he turned to her, making eye contact and raising his eyebrows as if asking permission. His touch felt good, like it was coming from the right place, so she just smiled at him and relaxed a little bit more into his side.

As the drinks kept coming, and so did other familiar faces that seemed to know their group throughout the town, Clementine thought that his was their only and final destination. Eager for the end of the night, she was excited to see where it would go if it involved just her and Zico.

Different members of their group would go out to the dance floor, based on which beats they preferred, and then come back to the table and order something else.

Then, it was their turn, because as soon as she heard the familiar song, Clementine exclaimed. "Oh my god! I know this song," and all it took was that because next thing she knew Zico took her by the arm and led her to the dance floor.

"Let's go dance then," he led both of them gracefully though the dance floor, and Clementine couldn't help but wonder if maybe her had some sort of professional dance training. She could recognize that in people.

This was the first time that they were separated from the group in the night.

They were lost in a crowd of people and for the first time since arriving in Brazil, except for that first night with him, she felt that she could finally be completely free and herself.

They moved in sync, in a way that was half dancing half moving against each other half a little drunk, but it felt amazing. There was a very clear connection that Clementine hasn't felt...ever.

It was like they were moving on the same radio wave.

But soon enough, after the song transitioned, someone from their group came to find them.

It was his friend from the car, but his arms around an unfamiliar girl.

"Its time, dude, we gotta go to the next place!" He exclaimed, and Clementine could see that he wasn't completely sober either.

She was upset that their moment was interrupted, but there was nothing they could do now.

Even Zico looked a little confused about what jus happened, but quickly regained himself. He looked at Clementine, grabbing her hand, he looked back at his friend and uttered vamos là.