chapter 77

77

77

"We just have to stop somewhere, it'll be really quick, I promise," Zico led her to his car, which she didn't even know he had.

She wondered if it was new, and whether she missed a lot in his life during their time apart.

He drove her to the house where the after gathering was to take place. Ed's mother's.

It was so dramatic to see the people there, and his mother especially. This made her wonder about Zico's mother and his family. She thought about her own.

It was, once agin, a completely different lifestyle than her own. Something she would have never experienced. Being in his life, so greatly made her aware of the limitations of her own. But also the things she was grateful for.

He made the rounds, and showed his face. Did what he needed to do. Everyone was too grief stricken to really take note of her.

Then they walked, down the street, hand in hand, both emotionally exhausted.

It was dusk, and she could feel her guard coming down only after noticing how they got progressively closer throughout the day. Even physically, she didn't notice how they got to holing hands but then there they were.

They got to the end of the road, and he turned to her, "I'm glad you came. It's good to see you're, okay."

Clementine nodded, and felt that this was the end now.

"I am, you too. I guess, this is the end of the night," Clementine reached her arm inside her bag, looking for her phone, but she realized something else was missing. "Shit," she said, "I think I lost my keys."

She dropped to the ground and rummage through her bag and nothing. This was a problem, considering her parents were away for the weekend, and so was the help, it would be hard to get back inside at this time of then night.

"Well, lets go back the way we came and see if you dropped them," he told her, and they both made their way back, eyes to the ground.

When they got as far as they could, she just stared at him a little helplessly and he looked like he was grinding his jaw.

"I guess," he began, "you can come with me."

As if that wasn't where this awl all heading. Silently, carefully, Clementine rejoiced inside. Now she knew where this was going.

He turned to look at her. Moving her hair out of her face, he kissed her so gently she could cry.

"All I wanna do," he whispered in her mouth, touching her cheek, "is get drunk and kiss your face." Then between kisses, "but both of those things lead me to a dangerous place."

Clementine was exasperated, me too, she thought. If only you knew.

"Take me home," she whispered.

He pulled back, slightly.

"Are you sure?" He asked. "I just know, that the stakes are high now. And every time we get together, something seems to break."

She kissed him, and pulling back, she said "yes."