chapter 66

66

66

She recalled waking up in the car again quite vividly. She was lying in the backseat though, and she realized something was wrong, that was quite clear.

She groaned involuntarily, the pain in her back and shoulder now spread to her arm. She lost grasp on her sense o time now.

The road was bumpy, and they were going fast.

"Clementine?" She could hear Zico's voice from the front seat, turning towards her to say her name.

She could only make out an incoherent noise.

Zico muttered something in Portuguese under his breath, and before she could try to understand it, she was lost to the world again.

She woke up another time, this time under bright, fluorescent lights.

"She's awake," some woman's voice carried to her across the room. Coming closer, she could see it was a nurse. "Okay, Clementine," how did she know her name? "I need you to think of something nice now," then she put a gas mask type thing over her mouth and nose and she didn't recall how she fell asleep.

Finally, it was her mind that really woke up before her body did. She could feel that she was much more lucid while her body remained weak.

And she was terrified, waking up in a body that did't want to wake up.

She started screaming, she did't know why, but she couldn't wake up.

Eventually, she opened her eyes and stopped screaming.

"Clementine!" She knew this voice.

Her mother ran up to her, and looked at her with great worry in her eyes.

"How did you..." Clementine tried to speak but her voice was raspy.

"Shh, don't worry about anything now. You need to rest."

And at that, she was whisked away on the wheelie bed by some nurses and put into a private room. Realizing then, that she was in some sort of post surgery room.

Her private room had a lot of flowers in there. White roses.

"Where is..." Clementine didn't want to say his name. Didn't know how much they knew.

Her mothers expression then changed suddenly and turned grim.

Her father finally came into the room too, running up to her mother.

"Is she awake yet?" And upon seeing Clementine, he looked like a huge wave of relief washed over him.

Clementine looked at her parents, taking them bot in, feeling grateful. Noticing that they looked tired, and like they have aged a few years overnight.

She wanted to sit up and hug them, but feeling a constrain, she saw that she had an IV attached and her mother gently put her back on the bed.

"Where is he?" Clementine repeated again quietly.

"Don't you want to know what happened?" Her mother pleaded with her, as her father remained quiet.

"I was bitten...by a snake," Clementine's words finally made it seem real to her and she had a look on bewilderment on herself, "but I don't know how I got here. How did you guys get here? I have no idea, except that I was in his car..."

At that, Clementine's mother released a cry of exasperation, and buried her face in her father's shirt.

But before anything else could happen, the doctor came in, wearing all white and with a notepad, checking his notes and walking at the same time he appeared swiftly and seemingly out of nowhere.

"Miss. Clementine, I see we are awake?" He smiled at her and her parents as if everything was cherio-okay.

Then checking his notes again, he continued "you're lucky you know," putting the notepad off to the side and getting out his stethoscope to check her vitals, "if it wasn't for whoever brought you here in time - and cleaned your wound - well, things would be much harder."

Clementine's eyes widened, and she produced an almost chocking sound. Zico.

"You okay?" The doctor asked looking a little concerned, and Clementine nodded. "Well, you're doing good but we're gonna have to keep you here a little longer. Please tell your nurse if you need anything."

And with that, the doctor flashed his perfect white smile one more time before leaving again.

"Where is he?" Clementine repeated herself thorough her gritted teeth.

Now that it was out in the open, she had to see that it was real.

Her mother looked away for a moment, then she said, "we told him to leave."

"You what?!" She could feel she was still physically weak, but she needed to know what happened and see it for herself.

"Before you get angry," her father finally said, "you should know that he didn't."

Clementine took a deep breath in.

"Take me to him," she said.