chapter 51

51

51

It didn't occur to her until she had a drink in her hand, that she was most likely doing this out of some sort of twisted feeling of revenge towards Zico.

She realized it was reckless,, but her previous recklessness was due to Zico, to be near him. Somehow, even far away, he still had a gravitational pull on her and this recklessness was also in a way because of him, even if not direct.

If he could be out doing other things with his friends and not respond to her messages, then who was she to not be able to do the same?

The group of friends that she was joining seemed to all be fit and playing some sort of athletic game, either beach volleyball or football. Even the girls.

Mostly Clementine hung back, and with the group that either wasn't playing or was taking time off from the games.

The two guys then handed her a drink and it was the beach and she was young and why not?

The beach was crowded and she was actually starting to have a good time. The music playing through the speakers of the club created an ambiance of youth, which wasn't always the case with this club. They were playing some sort of R&B. It wasn't Clementine's favourite jam, but it somehow fit the atmosphere.

Clementine was starting to forget herself when her phone pinged again.

We're gone for a few days.

Ever heard of Daime?

Clementine blinked, having no idea what he was referring to. But it didn't matter. She was having her own fun.

Which was true enough, because next thing she knew she was on a boat.

She truly was not expecting this to happen when she woke up in the morning.

And whoever was operating the small yacht clearly wasn't doing a great job, because Clementine was starting to sway, and she did't know if it was the water or the boat or the alcohol or all of them together.

She was holding on to a rope on the mast, and next thing she knew she felt she was going to be sick. She tried to hold it back, but couldn't and threw up over the boat's edge.

No one seemed to notice.

She thought she was having fun, but once things started to clear up, she realized she was on a random boat with random people with whom she has zero connection except for that they all belonged to some overrated beach club and were in the vicinity of her age.

Clementine felt dehydrated and tired. Even when she felt like this with Zico, she was still energized from his presence. But now, she just wanted to go home.

She tried finding the guys that brought her onto the boat in the firs place, but even though it was crowded - red and blue shorts were nowhere to be found.

She'd have to tough it out, she thought. So she did. She found a place to sit, and clutching her handbag and nursing her headache, as soon as the boat made its way round back to solid ground, she got off.

Except this time the ground did't feel all that solid.