chapter 57

57

57

He explained that they were all staying at some rental, for the big party weekend, which actually they were avoiding.

It was a beautiful modern house, with couches and wide windows and several rooms overlooking the tropical fauna outside the windows.

Once again, she wondered how they could afford this, but did not actually go as far as to inquire into it.

Because soon, all her thoughts were overtaken by them trying to get to the bedroom and not just straight out and doing it right there in the kitchen.

It was a sort of devouring of the flesh. His and hers. This is her! This is him!

As if every time was an exploratory trip.

After they were done, the sound of their friends was already starting to infiltrate the halls.

The had no choice but to get dressed quickly and rejoin the group.

That's when other boys and girls filled the room, and all at once, Zico was a acting a little strange. Distant and aloof.

She looked at him from across the room, and he was talking to some other people, beer in the hand. Glancing at her, and pretending to not feel what he was.

She pretended that this didn't bother her. Instead, she went to go look for somebody to talk to. Which wasn't hard because a group of guys found her, and started a conversation with her.

"Clementina!!" They exclaimed, taking over her attention and thoughts from wandering over to him. She recognized them from before. "Where have you been?"

"Here," Clementine took a sip of her beer, wanting to look fully immersed in this conversation but not sure how, in case he looked over at her.

"We missed you with us, we just got back from our trip," The guys were rambunctious and speaking mindlessly.

But this was enough to get her attention.

Do you know what Daime is?

"Yeah, it was crazy!" The other guy in the group said. "It was like a week of..."

And he was interrupted by Zico's approach, seemingly out of nowhere.

"Heyo boys," and then he did a crazy thing, coming up and putting his arm around Clementine very simply an casually, taking a sip of his beer. Staking his territory.

The other guys backed off and somehow all disappeared then.

Clementine melted into him without trying.

"Hey," he whispered to her, "if you're tired, you can go home."

This triggered Clementine, she wasn't tired. She could keep up.

"No, I'm fine."

He nodded, "I'm gonna smoke, wanna come out with me?"

Clementine followed him on the terrace.

In the dark, they were alone, and he kissed her once, without saying anything.

Then he lit a cigarette from a nearby flame on a stick which Clementine thought was very sauve.

They stood there, in the darkness, in a comfortable silence.

As they shared the cigarette, it started to rain, and they had to duck under the overpass.

It was then that Clementine felt a resolve to save this. To walk this road.

It was then that it hit them both, that they were doing this. Really doing this.

It seemed like some sort of unspoken pact between them.

At around 5am, Clementine knew she had to go.

The night was winding down, and people were either leaving or crashing on the sofas.

She did't want to stay like that, and the tiredness was getting the best of her.

She always knew when she had to go.

"Let me know when you get home. This place is dead anyway, but I gotta stay here. We're leaving tomorrow," Zico explained himself to her as if this was all how it is.

"Bye," Clementine lingered in the spot, debating between leaving or staying, but the physical realities of being human were starting to get to her.

He called her a taxi and as she drove away she kept her eyes on him for as long as she could in the rearview mirror.