chapter 10

10

10

It was nearing 8pm and Clementine was sitting on the windowsill. She had some champagne to soothe her nerves and get ready for the night. Not a lot, just a little. And it wouldn't be like her parents would notice. They had an alcohol room whereas most parents just have a stash.

Clementine's plan was to take a taxi. But Laticia insisted that they go together, since she had her own plans for the night in the city, and they were going to practically the same place.

Clementine also thought that a part of it had to do with the fact that Laticia had a need to protect her, which wasn't bad. In fact, Clementine kind of liked it - like the big sister she never had.

"Read?" Laticia came into the kitchen, slightly pampered herself.

"Laticia!" Clementine exclaimed, "you look like a real chiquita," Clementine finished what was left of her drink and got up to get her purse.

"Well, a girl gotta have some fun sometimes, huh?" Laticia adjusted her own red lipstick in the mirror on the wall.

Clementine ran up to her room, and made sure she had everything she needed.

Phone, lipstick, gum, wallet and, of course, a condom in the wallet. Not that she was necessarily planning on using it (again) but it was always better safe than sorry in herb books.

When they stepped outside, Clementine was hit with the stark contrast of the hot air compared to the air conditioned inside. It was still something she had to get used to, especially since it was technically winter, at least in New York City.

The car was already waiting outside. They knew they couldn't risk using the family driver, because he was employed by her parents after all. So the good old Rio taxi cab would have to do.

They were both giddy, both from the bubbly and in anticipation of what was to come. Clementine didn't know where Laticia was going, and Laticia didn't say so she didn't ask. But she felt that it was a boy.

As the car drove past the familiar, winding roads, Clementine looked out the window and thought about how different these people's lives were. And yet, how they are also all experiencing similar human experiences, emotions, and hopes.

So were they that different after all?

Even though the plaza was in a nicer area of town, they drove past some favelas - extremely poor places - and Clementine felt a certain sense of guilt. She didn't know why, but she hated thinking about it.

Then, finally, the car slowed down and pulled into the same place I was a week ago. It looked different in the evening light, with way less people around.

Getting out of the car, Clementine looked around, apprehensive but also knowing that there was no going back now. Not really.

Then, before she could take another breath, she heard her name called.

"Hey, Clementine!"

She turned her head, and there he was, hand up and smiling. He shouted her name across the whole plaza and it sounded so different coming from him. So powerful, like there were no barriers between her name and her.

Zico was standing there, surrounded by a small group of people.

"See you later," Clementine whispered to Laticia, and made her way towards him, almost as if she were being pulled by an invisible string.

As she joined the group, she felt that all her worries and anxieties were silly. She could see it, as she made a bigger deal of it than what it really was. She tended to do that a lot, make things bigger in her own head for better or for worse.

"Boa noite," Zico smiled and looked directly at Clementine. He was with a few other people, guys and girls, some coupled up some hanging out. "Hey guys, this is Clementine everyone."

He gestured to her, and she felt a little odd at first, like the object of all their eyes and judgements. But nobody really seemed to mind her joining them, and she was glad.

"Hi," Clementine said, both to Zico and then looking around the group to everyone.

Everyone waved and gave a round of first names, by which point Clementine forgot all of them anyway, but she tried to take a mental picture of all their faces and figure out the hierarchy and structure of their group. They were all also young and good looking, and well dressed and stylish. You could tell English wasn't their language but they all spoke it, and for Clementine's sake, they spoke it pretty well.

Clementine hasn't felt inferior in a long time, and certainly not now, but she definitely felt a little bit of an outsider.

It was obvious though, since she was the one coming onto their turf, and their number was bigger. But she wasn't trying to beat them. She wanted to join them.

Plus, the only one she wa interested really, was Zico.

After the round of introductions, everyone went back to their conversations.

"What's up?" Zico asked her casually.

"What's you plan for tonight?" Clementine asked him back casually.

"No plan, not really. I mean, there's a party tonight we were all kinda hoping to go to. And you're invited, obviously. I invited you." Zico ran his hand through his hair.

He was always so cool, but was that a hint of nervousness Clementine felt?

"Yeah, sure," Clementine secretly hoped it would be just them, but she didn't mind this. In fact it was probably better to spread out the tension.

There were some pretty girls with them, but most of them were partnered up, and he definitely wasn't looking at any of them. Out of all the guys, there was one he seemed particularly close to. This guy didn't have a girl with him, but would joke with Zico. It was in Portuguese, slang Portuguese so Clementine didn't really have a good grasp or understanding of what they were saying. Regardless of everything, though, everyone seemed to be in good spirits.

Some people were already drinking from the little street bar, and the music in the background had everyone moving slightly. Some people found a guitar and started singing something.

It was clear though, that Zico was the most popular one. He seemed to know everyone, and anyone who came up to talk to him, looked at him like a ray of light. It made sense though. He had a certain magnetism to him, which made you want to look at him, even if that meant it would make you blind eventually.