chapter 73d

73

73

He didn't make eye contact with her, seeming that they didn't see each other. She thought he didn't see her, but she could have been wrong. He was holding the same Sol beer loosely between his fingers, gazing at the music stage. She quickly glanced around him, recognizing faces from his crew.

Immediately, to think of her next step, she made a beeline for the bathroom, barely muttering a see you to Ernesto and Latricia.

She bypassed everyone, as no one mattered now, and locked herself in a stall. She stared at the pink walls.

Clementine realized that it seemed that imagining seeing him and actually seeing him where two different things. This felt dangerous, and exhilarating.

She decided to take it slow. She wouldn't approach him. He'd find her.

She slowly came out of the stall and looked at herself in the full length mirror. She was both intoxicated and sobered up, and she thought she looked fine enough and she should just go out there now. Having lost the concept of time altogether, she wasn't quite sire how long she'd been there and how long they had left.

She came out back into the audience, with the goal to be confident. As confident as she could, even if it was pretend. As confident as she felt that first night...

On the way to this party, she thought about that, how she wasn't sure how to tap back into that girl that she was, thought she was, when he first met her. And she wondered if perhaps she wasn't walking into a heartbreak. She might have, but she didn't care. Walking into another heartbreak with him would still have been better than walking into nothing.

She felt the doubts pull at her sleeve. Would it really be any better this time?

She found Latricia, grabbing back the beer she asked her to hold for her.

"You okay?" She asked, "we didn't know where you went!"

Clementine nodded, and looked around nonchalantly. She saw that Zico was now up ahead of them, in the middle of the floor.

"Hey, Latricia," Clementine had an idea, "lets go up on the steps. Near the front, on the sides of the stage!

"But the sound is the best here!" Latricia protested.

"Come on, but the dancing there is awesome. Just for a bit!"' Clementine wanted to get in front of Zico, so this time he'd see her.

"Oh, alright," Latricia finally gave in and Clementine grabbed her hand and led the way.

They went around the large crowd, getting to the steps on the right side of the room.

Some guys, seeing them approaching, made room for them to get up.

No way he won't see me now, Clemeitne thought to herself.

She didn't have to look, but she knew exactly where he was in the room, constantly activated on her radar.