5. Hidden Lies

I've always loved my job. No matter what happens, I know I can use it as an escape. It just makes my day better. I guess you could say I am a bit of a workaholic. When I can't do my job, I tend to fall through the cracks. Everything just feels off.

Unfortunately, I can't make any new jewelry because of my hand. I mean I could try to work around it but I can't afford to make any mistakes. Which means I need to call all the clients who had orders for custom pieces and tell them there will be a delay. That's risky business. What's to stop them from finding another jeweller? Nothing.

It's been two days since I cut my hand. Two days since I've seen Brad. Which I am happy about. But it's also been two days since I've seen Nate. Which I'm sad about. I felt really bad to throw my problem onto him. I regret it now, I wish I just dealt with it myself.

We haven't talked since. So I'm worried that I scared him away. He probably thinks I'm crazy now.

I'm sitting in my office, going through my round of phone calls telling everyone about the delay. And the next person on my list is Nate.

I feel like I don't need to call because he probably knows. But the professional thing to do would be to call.

I've been in the same position for 30 minutes weighing in my options. I'm nervously clicking on my pen cap as I stare at the phone. When you stare as long as I have, the numbers start to fade together.

As a 3 turned into an 8, my door opened. "Hey! How's it going?" Sienna asked.

I'm a bit of a private person. I've never told her about Brad or Nate or anything from my past. So when I told her about my hand, I didn't tell her how the glass broke. It's not lying, it's just revealing half the truth. I kinda like it this way because there's no pity from her. It's just a great friendship that we started from a clean slate.

Sienna was pretty concerned about my hand because she knows my job is my life. It was nice for her to check up on me.

"It's alright. I was gonna head out to grab some lunch. Can you finish off these phone calls for me?" I asked trying to make an excuse to leave so she would do it.

"Of course," she said with a smile. She is definitely happy to help and I love her for that. "Have you sketched any new designs?" She asked.

I smiled at her questions. I mean sure I wouldn't be able to make anything new but what's to stop me from attempting to put my ideas on paper.

"Don't get too excited, that's for after lunch. Did you want me to bring you something to eat?" I asked, this was my attempt to do something nice for her. I couldn't ever repay her for kindness but I could try.

"Sure," she said.

With that I grabbed my dark blue Birkin, that matched my strappy Jimmy Choo heels, and walked out of my office heading for the door. I wore my hair in a high ponytail with a pair of light wash ripped jeans and an oversized white knit sweater. The sweater has long sleeves so it kinda covers my hand or at least that's what I wanted it to do. And if the sweater didn't work, I had my diamond rings as a diversion. It was quite a casual outfit but I like to think I made it classy.

I walked through the streets of New York in six inch heels which I know sounds crazy but I've gotten used to it by now. The streets were busy, as they always are. I love that about New York, seeing everyone in such a rush. Each person has their different story, just trying to hustle through life like the rest of us.

After I picked up lunch and got coffees for all my employees, I walked into my store with a tray of coffees and a bag of food. The store was quiet, no customers were in right now so everyone rushed over to me eyeing the coffee. I guess this makes me a good boss. We all chatted for a bit until a few customers came in.