23. Snake Eyes

Moments that make us happy are what give us the motivation to live. They are what give us the willpower to stand the next day. We strive to attain these moments.

The moment when you look into the eyes of the person that makes you happy and realize that you are ready to declare your love to them. The butterflies flutter from your stomach to your heart making you feel hollow until the three words leave your lips.

"I-"

I got through the first word before the moment was taken away from me and I was left feeling hollow.

I was cut off by the knocking on the passenger side window. Fucking Roman. God, this guy always messes things up for me.

Nate didn't suspect anything from the one word I spoke. I mean 'I' sets up any sentence. He huffed in annoyance before he rolled down his window to greet our interruption.

"Hey lovebirds," Roman slurred through drunken words. "You joining the party?" he asked Nate as he waved around his bottle of expensive vodka. "I'll let you join too," he said as he winked at me, just ew.

Nate looked over at me with begging eyes. He obviously didn't want to deal with Roman and whatever is going on inside alone. And maybe some liquid courage would help me get passed the first word and onto the other two.

"Let's fucking party," I said dramatically.

I turned my car off leaving my belongings inside and Nate walked over to open my door for me as Roman grumbled some shit about Nate being a 'gentleman.' I didn't care if he was being sarcastic because in my eyes Nate is a gentleman.

Roman tripped with each step he took and Nate helped him inside. The house, which I once saw as elegant, was trashed. The large house now looks small with the amount of people in it.

Nate leaned closer to me so Roman couldn't hear and said "I'm gonna shut this down. Can you stay with him?" Now I looked at him with begging eyes. "I'll be right back. Just make sure he doesn't do anything stupid."

I signed, defeated but we were in agreement.

Roman bolted as soon as Nate disappeared into another room. I followed quickly behind him and he stopped in Nate's dining room. The once pristine table was now a game space, red solo cups were placed on each end.

"Hey diamonds!" Roman shouted to me. "Wanna play?" I just rolled my eyes at his drunken stupidity. "Oh so she's not up for a challenge," he said as the other drunken idiots, surrounding us, booed at me. 

I'm not one for peer pressure but I'm bored and I most definitely can beat a wasted Roman at a game about coordination.

"I'll go first," I said confidently as some other party goers arranged the cups to reset the game.

I cracked my ring filled knuckles then threw the ball as I missed the cup and everyone surrounding us made crowd noises. Roman just shook his head then he threw the ball into one of my cups. Great. I looked into the cup, expecting it to be beer when instead it was a clear liquid. I knew better than to think it was water.

"It's a shot of tequila," Roman clarified.

It's tequila, there are 10 cups, Roman seems to be a good shot, so there's a chance of taking 10 shots of tequila, yeah I'm gonna be smashed by the end of this.

I downed the first shot, the tequila burned on the way down but it didn't affect my next shot. Roman looked impressed as slugged back the alcohol.

The game went on and I must admit I think I've met my match with Roman. We are both pretty good at this game. It seemed like the more I drank, the better I got.