37. Prioritize

♥ Nate ♥

Your parents can push you to succeed or hold you back to fail. I've experienced both circumstances.

My father held me back when he made the deal with the wolves. He made a mess and expected me to clean it up. It may have been part of his plan. His way of seeing if I could prove myself but I doubt he thought of it that way.

Now he's finally stepping back and handing over the business to its rightful owner. I've been waiting for this day for as long as I can remember but I didn't expect it to be today. My father is a very spontaneous man. Catch him on the right day and he will do anything for you. He can change his mind very quickly so I knew if I didn't sign the papers now, I would have to wait even longer. Of course I'm upset that I had to ditch Zara but after I do this it will be better for all of us.

I drove the car to my parents' house as Roman sat beside me. The drive felt longer than usual because of the anticipation. This is what I've always wanted, what I've been raised to achieve.

"So did Theo get there?" I asked Roman. I got him to go to support her in my place, just temporarily. I will be there as soon as this is over.

"He's on his way now," Roman said, slightly annoyed that I'm micromanaging.

Roman walked closely behind me as we entered the big double doors of the estate.

"Nathaniel, good to see you," my father greeted me like he'd been eagerly waiting in the entryway. I knew my mother wasn't home, you can just tell by the intense vibe that her bubbly presence was not near.

"Yeah, you too," I said in a bit of a scoff. I hold a bit of resentment towards my father. It's just disappointing that he's never trusted his own son's judgment and because of that he puts me in situations I don't wish to take part in.

"Care for a drink?" He asked. A drink would make my time here longer but my father's decision may falter if I don't play my cards right.

I looked over at Roman who understands all of this. We have to tread lightly. He gave me a nod urging me to go. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I handed it to Roman. If my father didn't have my undivided attention, he would think that I'm not serious about my possible new position.

"Let's take it to the office," I said, pushing him to where we need to be. I just need to sign my name on the dotted line.

We walked to his office and Roman stayed behind. My father closed the door and I sat on the chair opposite to his desk.

"Are you sure you're ready for this son?" He asked skeptically.

"I've been ready for a long time," I'm confident in every word I said. This exchange of power should have been done a long time ago.

He went over every last detail as I discreetly checked the clock every minute. I just need to go see Zara because this is her night. My father flipped the switch many times, saying I'm not ready then agreeing that now is the time. If we don't finish this soon, I'm afraid the switch will be stuck on the wrong side.

He flipped to the last page, the one that requires a signature and I began to tap my foot. It seemed like he took much longer to go over this page. He picked up his black inked pen and handed it to me. I quickly scribbled my name then handed it back to him.

"Congratulations Nathaniel. You'll make a great leader," he said as he shook my hand.

Fucking finally.

It's 8:45.

I didn't think I'd walk out of that room feeling like a changed man and I don't. I just feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now I can make decisions on my own without any mistakes being made.