34. Tequila Allies

When you first meet someone, you like to make your own judgments. Being told someone is rude is different from experiencing their rudeness. Which is why I didn't choose to adopt Nate's opinions on his father. I wish I found my thoughts on Mr. Harris to be opposite of what Nate thinks but now that we've formally met, my judgement on his character is worse than what Nate described.

I don't think 'whore' and 'homewrecker' are justifiable words to describe me especially from someone who barely knows anything about me. I can only respect someone when they relay it back to me.

I walked back into the kitchen where Rita was drying her hands and left the argument that was taking place. She showed me respect and welcomed me into her home while her husband did the opposite.

"Rita, thank you so much for dinner but I have to get going," I said and shared a hug with her.

"So soon?" She asked.

"I've got an early morning tomorrow," which is partly true but I didn't want to tell her the reason I'm leaving is because of her husband and how awful I think he is. I'm surprised that Rita is even with the jerk.

"Alright well take care," she said waving me off.

I pulled out my phone to call an Uber or a taxi or anything that would get me out of here. I didn't want to be around someone who wasn't welcoming and I knew when I stepped through the doors that my presence was unwanted.

I was sitting on the front steps of the house fiddling with my nails waiting for the car to come. I wasn't expecting Nate to follow after me, that would be selfish. This is his family dinner and I interfered with it enough. I just wanted him to stay and spend some time with his parents.

The big wooden doors behind me creaked open. The soft footsteps got closer until Nate sat down next to me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "Go spend some time with your family. I have a car coming to get me."

He looked at me bewildered by my response. I didn't want to bad mouth his father since it is his father after all.

Nate let out a huff of aggravation before saying "I'm really sorry Zara. Ignore him, he was talking out of his ass."

"It's fine," I said looking up at the dark star lit sky.

He reached for my hand and held it tight. "It's really not fine."

Before he could continue to defend my feelings and rant about his father's wrongdoings, I said "I just really like what we have. It's a really good relationship. You're like my best friend and the love of my life in one person." I held a smile as bright as the stars before I bowed my head in embarrassment as his eyes gleamed with love. "I just thought meeting your parents would be a step in the right direction for us but I guess I was wrong."

We both paused the conversation for a minute as if we were collecting our thoughts. Then I voiced what I was thinking "I really don't understand why he thinks so poorly of me when he barely even knows me."

"Because he's an idiot," Nate stated as if it was obvious. "Zara," I looked deep into his pools of blue waters as he spoke. "I really don't care what anyone says or thinks. All that matters is me and you. There's nothing anyone can say about us that will change what we feel."

"I know but it still hurts," I said but I looked away from his mesmerizing eyes. I didn't want to instil my ill thoughts onto Nate. "Don't worry about me. I'll meet you at home," I said as I shooed him away with my hand.

"No, we're all gonna go," he said, getting up and holding his hand out for mine.

"Nate, I really don't want to come between you and your family. You should go back in there."

"You're my family," he said with a corny smile. He attempted to put my weariness at ease by saying "I already said bye to my mom. She's really the only reason I come to these dinners."

I grabbed his hand and stood to my feet. "I like your mom," I said with a smile from ear to ear just thinking of the energy she portrays.

Roman and Theo came through the front doors with sympathetic looks on their faces.

"Don't give me that," I said, snapping at both of them.

"What?" Roman asked confused as Theo put his hands in the air defenselessly.

"The pity. What's done is done. Let's move on," I said slightly annoyed at the need to rehash this.

All of them followed me into the car. We drove in silence but not the enjoyable kind, this was just awkward. When we walked into the house I headed for the back door. I just wanted to be alone and the guest house was my own little sanctuary.

"Hey, where are you going?" Theo asked with a playful smile as he reached behind the bar for a bottle of tequila. "The night just started. Don't you want to join us for a drink."

He laid out four shot glasses and we each took one.

"Cheers to being called a whore by your boyfriend's father," I said with a smile.

It's kinda funny now. They were all skeptically of my words. I clinked my glass to each of there's before I let it go down the hatch and they all cautiously followed suit.

Theo poured us all new shots. "I like this game. Okay it's my turn," he said smiling at me. "Cheers to being called an idiot by my own father."

Nate and Roman let out a laugh before we all did our shot.

"Theo get another round," Roman commanded. "Cheers to being called a rat by your father."

They all looked at each other in understanding and frustration. We drank our shot then looked to Nate.

"Cheers to being called a disgrace by my father," Nate said.

I guess Mr. Harris is a dick to everyone, even his own children. It makes me feel a little bit better but I also feel bad for the excuse of a father they have.

The glasses sounded together and the four shots I took may have slightly taken me away from reality but it has brought me closer to what's important. I sat here downing shots and laughing with the people that, I've come to realize, are my family.

—————
What does everyone think so far?
Are we ready for the turning point in the story or do you want to feel some more love?