24. Empire's Rise

♥ Nate ♥

As you grow older, you see the unstated list of expectations that are laid out for you. You spend your whole life trying to live up to these impossible expectations that may or may not mean anything to you. 

I am meant to follow in my father's footsteps which I have no problem with. Everything career wise is fine with me but I do not want to be anything like my father as a person.

He's someone who can never admit when a mistake has been made on his part. He pushes family aside, we were never his priority. I strive to be better than that, this is an expectation I made for myself.

Right now, my career isn't my priority, it's Zara. She's the one I wake up for in the morning, the person I can't go without seeing. Every breath I take is dedicated to her.

There is a name for these feelings. It's something I've never felt with anyone before. I'm ashamed to say that I'm scared to accept it. But the more time that passes with these words unspoken, the more I regret delaying it.

I left her with Roman because he is a fun but stupid drunk. His drunken ass is the reason I'm here kicking people out of a party at my house that I didn't agree too. It may be selfish for me to make her spend time with him when she doesn't like him but I want her and my best friend to get along.

Most of the people at this party are people who work for me. I can be a fun guy to party with but anyone who sees my face right now would quickly realize I'm not in a 'partying mood.' When they caught a glimpse of my serious expression they cower in fear. After a few minutes of me being in a room, people would scatter.

Making it not even halfway through the house, I got pulled into my office by one of my trusted men. He told me that Richards took another shipment. That fucking bastard, he's walking on a thin line and it's wearing out.

I was making phone calls and trying to organize everything when this is all shit that, a not so drunken idiot, Roman should be doing. If it was up to me, I would be lying in bed with Zara right now drifting into happy dreams.

I was lost in my swimming thoughts of her as I sipped on some scotch when Theo came barging in.

"Dad's here," he said out of breath like he just ran a mile.

"What the fuck? Why is he here?"

"He's got news," Theo said as he raised his eyebrows in exaggeration.

Roman came rushing in shortly after.

"Where is she?" I asked, they knew who I was talking about because I wouldn't ask about anyone else.

"I approve of her, by the way, she packs a punch" Theo said with a smirk as I rolled my eyes not seeing what he meant and looked to Roman.

"She's in a guest bedroom. We had a little run in with Ian," Roman said as if he was walking on eggshells, which he was.

"What happened?" I asked, needing to know.

"He was being a dick like always."

"Fuck, I'm gonna kill that idiot," I said out of anger.

"She punched him," Theo cut in talking as if this was some big drama show to him. "Like square in the nose. I seriously think she broke it," he said, impressed.

I was impressed too. She's just full of surprises and I can't get enough.

"Is she okay?" I asked with concern laced in my tone.

"Yeah, a couple busted knuckles nothing bad," Roman said.

"Really 'nothing bad'" I said, mocking him. "This shouldn't have happened," I was getting mad.

"Okay we will talk about this later. Dad's here remember," Theo said as if I was dumb.

"Did he see her?"

If he knew who she was to me it wouldn't end well. He wants me focused on the job and with someone I couldn't care less about. I only care about keeping this a secret right now because he will be retiring soon and if I'm doing something he doesn't like, he may hand the reins over to someone else.

"He saw her but that was it."

The answer put my mind at ease.

My father came strolling in as if whatever he needed to tell us wasn't urgent but it obviously was.

"Hello Nathaniel," he said smoothly then turned to Theo and nodded his head "Theodore."

He looked back in my direction saying "I wouldn't think it wise of you to be having such a party," his tone seeped venom and disapproval. My father is not a man of many words or lectures but you can always tell when the things he says are deadly and this was beyond that. "It doesn't seem like something a leader would do," trust me I know but I had to take the fall for this because if I told him it was Roman he would have told me to put a bullet in his head. Romans knows this, that's why he's nervously rubbing his sweaty palms on his jeans right now.

"As you may know our shipment has been taken by Richards. It has come to my attention that this information was given to him by the wolf gang." Surprise surprise, guess who was right about them all along.

As much as I would like to gloat, I can't because right now I need to act like everything my father says is the words of God and they are the law. Just a few more years of ass kissing, I thought.

He continued saying "I have decided to advise you against the deal with them," well no fucking shit.

"Thanks for your advice," I said through gritted teeth.

He turned to leave before looking to Roman and asking "who was that girl?" Of course he would notice her, she was the only girl here. "She with you?"

All three of us looked at each other before Roman responded "yup, she's a good one don't you think?" I was ready to knock his teeth out but I knew he was only doing me a favour.

My father just nodded in approval before leaving the room.

We spent hours creating new plans for our shipments to get on top of our breach. I couldn't predict Richards' next move and I wouldn't take my chances with anything, he's already cost me enough. Which is why I needed Roman to keep Zara safe while I wasn't around. As much as it pissed me off to have someone other than me with her, I was glad it was Roman because I trusted him with my life. I know she may not like him due to previous events but her safety is my priority.

Theo and I had to go pay a visit to the big bad wolf. I don't plan for anything violent to happen, I'm just there to call off an agreement for good then give the subtle hint that crossing me means war. It doesn't matter which way this goes because you have to prepare yourself for the worst and I am always prepared.

It was now the early hours of the morning, before our big 'visit.' I went to see Zara peacefully asleep on the bed in the guest bedroom. She's still dressed in her clothes from yesterday. I brushed a few strands of her raven hair from her face to look at the perfection which laid before me.

Everytime I see her I fall harder. My life is complicated. You never know what will happen. That's why I couldn't walk away from her this time without saying it.

I pressed a soft, gentle kiss to her lips as she stirred in her sleep then whispered to her, "I love you."

I don't know what the future holds for me. I have a dangerous lifestyle. Buried deep in my thoughts, everytime I see her there's a worry that it will be the last.