26. Constant Butterflies

When you get bad news, you hear your heartbeat in your ears, your palms start to sweat, you can't see anything even when you are looking in every direction, your mind runs through all the possibilities and it settles on the worst outcome. In that moment, nothing else matters. You get eaten alive by your worst fears.

Nate was shot. Theo's words rang through my head millions of times and I still couldn't accept it.

I took a chance with him. I put all my trust into one person and I didn't regret that. What I regret is loving that person so much that it tears my heart in half to think of losing them.

"How bad is it?" I choked on my words. I was trying to pull myself out of this trance which was about to consume me.

"It hit him on his shoulder," I let out a breath knowing he would be okay.

"He's totally fine, we probably should have started by saying that," Roman cut it and I gave him a major side eye. "I didn't tell you because he had to wait for the doctor and get patched up. I didn't want to worry you," he said defenceless.

Theo opened the door to the room that looked like an unsanitary and abandoned hospital ward. Nate sat up normally on the little bed as if nothing was wrong only now he had his shoulder wrapped with his shirt off. Who I assumed was the doctor left when I entered the room.

I know now's not the time, but Nate looks fucking hot. A light layer of sweat covers his chest and glistens across the ink making me instinctively lick my lips.

His attention was on me as I walked over and gave him a gentle hug. I didn't want to hurt him even more but I just needed to be close to him.

"I missed you," I whispered in his ear as an involuntary tear slid down my face. I didn't want to cry but I couldn't control it. It hasn't even been a whole day without him but I still missed him and I would take one day over an eternity away from him.

He pulled away slightly and wiped the lone tear that fell from one of my green eyes. He held my face in the palm of his hand just like he held my heart. "I missed you too," he breathed out against my lips.

I didn't waste any time before I pressed my lips to his. I felt the stubble which spread across his cheeks and it lured me in more. His hand tangled into my hair pulling me closer. Our tongues fought against each other in the best way and I let him take the lead.

When I opened my eyes after the kiss and the glossiness from my unshed tears settled, it was clear to me that I couldn't wait any longer. It felt like my heart was about to explode. I needed to say it.

I put my hand on his good shoulder and pushed away slightly. "Nate," I paused, taking a breath before I let the declaration fall off my lips. "I love you."

His breathing hitched and he leaned in again claiming my lips in the most passionate way that took my breath away. Then our foreheads rested against each other as I looked deep into those alluring blue eyes and he said the words that I could listen to over and over again. "I love you too."

The love I feel from him makes my heart feel whole. His adoration for me set me on fire, a fire that only he can diffuse. I cannot go without him in my life because he is my life.

I was snapped back to the reality of the situation when I remembered that I could have lost him. "How did this happen?" I asked. I didn't know if it was something I wanted to hear about but I needed to know the truth to make myself feel better.

He sighed as he rubbed his tired eyes, he probably hasn't slept yet since I've seen him last. "Bradley," the name of the devil.

My blood boiled. "He fucking shot you?" I was ready to pay the asshole a little visit of my own.

"No, but he was behind it."

Does he just expect me to piece it all together when the puzzle isn't even half finished? "What happened?"

He hesitated saying "I don't want to worry you."

"It's a little too late for that." I sat next to him on the bed and grabbed his hand. "You can tell me anything."

"I had to call off a deal because they crossed me by siding with Bradley. And it didn't go as smoothly as planned."

I scoffed saying "I can tell." He gave me a little smirk as he chuckled slightly at my attempt of some dark humour. I wanted to lighten the mood.

"So I heard what happened with Ian," he said as he grabbed my right hand which I tried to hide away in shame.

He placed soft kisses over the bandages which made me smile.

"He was being an ass," I said, trying to defend my wrongful actions.

"No doubt about that," he said as he wrapped his arm around me and I laid my head on his shoulder.

Roman and Theo came in after knocking a hundred times to make sure we weren't 'doing anything.'

"I hate to ruin the moment but we need to talk about something," Roman said as Nate urged him to continue. "Someone was following us," he went on to explain what happened on our outing for the day.

The inconclusive conclusion they came to was that it's Bradley's doing. He has become like a piece of gum stuck to my shoe, I just can't get rid of it. No matter how much you try to scrape it off, it's still sticky. I am beginning to wonder if I'll be stuck with Brad in my life forever when I thought that chapter of my life was closed.

"He left me a note in my office the other day saying he wants to meet with me," I said, breaking off their discussion that I stopped having interest in a few minutes ago. My mind is just running on a loop.

"You weren't seriously considering it?" Nate asked, getting protective over me.

"Not after what happened today," before today Brad wasn't a danger to me but now he turned the tables and abandoned the person I thought he was. Nate seemed relieved by my response.

The three of them started talking about business and I excused myself. I walked out into the hallways knowing that this was the final straw. Brad has gone too far and now I need to cut all ties with him for good.

I picked up the phone and called my stockbroker who hasn't heard from me in years. He answered the phone on the third ring, I counted because I cannot wait to get this over with and finally be independent.

"Todd it's Zara Wilson. I need to know how much it will cost to buy out Bradley's shares."

No shares, no part in my life, right?

If only it was that easy.