33. Fathers Tatalize

Does a commitment need to be stated for things to be official? Does labeling a relationship really mean anything? To me, the answer to these questions is yes.

Is it bad that I feel like a giddy teenager? I didn't think I would ever hear those words come out of Nate's mouth. He can be a very serious person and I just thought that labeling me as his 'girlfriend' would be childish for him.

We already said the 'I love you's' and that means more to me than a label but saying I'm Nate's girlfriend means more than I thought it would. The way I was raised and the way I saw things, there was always an order. The boyfriend/girlfriend stage, getting engaged, then married. It was simple. And moving in with them would go somewhere between the steps. I don't mind falling out of order but I want to have a method to our madness and Nate granted me that.

Now that the question has been asked and the steps have been put into motion, I wonder if this is what I really wanted at least for right now. We just got to a somewhat good place and I don't want to ruin that. But sometimes you have to put everything on the line and risk it all. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm giving Nate one last chance and hopefully we will follow the order this time.

I didn't want to jump into the relationship, I still wanted it to be like a new start. So instead of staying with Nate in his room, I settled for the guest house. It was cute, almost like a pool house. I wanted to ease into the relationship again.

Nate drove me to work every morning and picked me up after I was done. We would eat dinner together, sometimes Roman and Theo would join, then he would walk me back to the little house in the back and kiss me goodnight. I liked our little routine and each day I was getting more comfortable trusting Nate.

I don't have to worry about Brad because Nate had people everywhere. He got new security for my store and a few guys I met before that follow me when I go places. I'm grateful for the protection even though I think it might be a little excessive.

I've learned that once a month Nate and Theo go have dinner with their parents and this time Nate invited me. Am I nervous to meet them? Obviously. Especially since when I first saw their dad, I was pushed away.

I tried to push my thoughts aside as I got dressed. I wore a sundress and a jean jacket. I'm thankful that New York's cold weather has passed.

There was a knock at the door as I was combing through my wavy hair with my face freshly washed and no makeup. Opening the wooden door, I'm greeted with Nate's eyes that match the colour of the pool behind him as the night shadows glow over it. He was wearing casual jeans and a black tee shirt, it was a good look for him.

"I'm not ready yet," I said as I waited for my hair straightener to heat up.

"How are you not ready? You already look amazing, I don't think you can look any better than you already do," he said with a wink as he walked in and plopped down on the couch. He's such a flirt.

I began to straighten the waves of my raven hair. "So what should I expect from your parents?" I asked wearily.

He thought about it for a minute, trying to find the best words to put it in. "My mother will love you," he said with a smile.

"And your father?" I asked, curious as to why he didn't include him in his statement.

"Well I don't really care what he thinks."

"So he won't like me?" I asked.

"Just ignore him," he said slightly annoyed.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" I asked, not wanting to pry but also wanting him to be openly honest.

"Him and I just don't get along very well. We have different views on things." I just nodded.

I'm glad he opened up a bit. I'm not sure if I completely understand what he means but I guess I will by the end of the night.

When I finished getting ready, I closed the door behind me and then caught up with Nate.

"Hey Nate," I said with mischief.

"Yeah."

"Your ass looks good in these jeans," I was serious but I was also mocking him.

He laughed as he slapped my ass. We walked towards the car and Theo and Roman were waiting. I'm glad Roman is coming too, now I don't feel like the only outsider.

"Alright lovebirds keep it in your pants," Theo said, my cheeks flushed with embarrassment. He probably just witnessed Nate's playfulness.

The ride to their parents' house was filled with light conversation and I was glad because I was already nervous enough.

I thought Nate's house was big but I had no idea what big was until I saw this place. I wouldn't call it a mansion more like a palace. My eyes widened in awe. Who needs a house this big, I questioned to myself.

They knocked on the door and I stood behind the three tall men. I would consider myself tall but with them around me I was anything but.

A shorter, older woman with short brown hair answered the door. Her features looked similar to the two faces that I've seen before.

"Oh Theodore, Nathaniel," she said embracing them in a hug. "Come on in. Hello Roman, how are you dear?" She asked sweetly.

I snuck in behind them, still going unseen. Their father came into view and he greeted each of them before his eyes settled on mine.

"Roman I see you've brought your girl with you," he said and I looked around questioningly. Roman's girl?

"Actually," Nate interpreted as he cleared his throat. "This is Zara, my girlfriend." I smiled at the mention of it out loud.

"Oh my goodness that's wonderful," his mother said as she gave me a warm hug. It was similar to the ones my mother gave me and I loved every second of it. "I'm Rita, by the way," she said with a smile as she moved away.

I could feel the scowl Mr. Harris was giving me. He was definitely not pleased with my presence. The dinner was fine, I was occasionally questioned, more like interrogated, by Mr. Harris on my life and my intentions. I didn't have anything to prove to him, the only person whose opinion matters to me is Nate's.

I helped Rita clear the table and wash the dishes. I liked doing little things like this because it reminds me of simpler times. We had a good chat just about our aspirations of life and I found comfort in it. It wasn't like the conversation I have just had with her husband. This was more loving.

She handed me the tray of cookies to bring to the table as she finished up the last of the dishes. Walking from the kitchen to the dining room, I could hear the voices being raised. I knew it was about me, I heard my name get tossed around. Nate, Theo and Roman all defended me when I did nothing wrong. Then I heard Mr. Harris with his cutting words.

"She's a whore and a homewrecker. She's no good for you. Nathaniel, I'm telling you now, stay away from her."

What the actual fuck? Why would he call me any of these names? Is it rude to call Nate's father an asshole? I don't care if it's rude because it's the truth.

I walked into the room, unfazed. They all knew I heard. I walked in as soon as he finished his sentence. I slid the tray of cookies across the table, Mr. Harris stopped them with his hand then looked in my direction.

"Thanks for dinner," I said with the biggest fake smile then I turned on my heel and headed for the door.

Fuck him.