6. Not Always Wise

Adolescence. It's a stage in your life. When you go from being a child to an adult. There's many differences between the two. As a child, you're not afraid of what the scary world has waiting for you. But as an adult, you see everything as it is.

Gullible, is the word I would use to describe myself in my early teenage years. I would believe everything anyone told me. Do anything for anyone because I thought they could somehow fill the void of me losing my family. I was gullible because I believed that to be true.

There was someone who I once considered family, who holds the truth to almost every lie I've ever told, who convinced me to do unmentionable things. That person being Daphne Peters.

Daphne had platinum blonde hair and hazel eyes. She was gorgeous, but looks can be deceiving. Daphne was and always will be a despicable person. She made me feel loved, but at the same time she plotted against me. I was ignorant enough to do everything she asked. She would make me hand her the knife, just so she could stab me in the back.

She was involved in some dangerous shit, but she refused to get her hands dirty. If she did, I wouldn't have been of any use to her.

After my parents died, my heart was breaking at the seams. Daphne helped me sew it back together, only so she could shatter it once again. I stood by her for a few years, until I realized I deserved so much more.

When I told her I was leaving, she threatened me. Daphne has an ugly, jealous and manipulative personality. She never left our small hometown and she was mad that I took my chance to leave. Saying she would expose all my secrets. At that point, I had nothing to lose so I left. No truth was said, I thought I was in the clear.

In the beginning, every blonde would put me on edge. I thought she would try to find me, try to ruin me. But if you stay too close to the edge, you fall.

Thoughts and memories of her haunt me every once in a while. I have a lot more to lose now than I did before. Life was finally throwing me some good cards.

The week dragged on. It only felt longer because I had something to look forward to. At some point, I got the stitches from my hand removed and it was healing nicely. A little scar wouldn't kill me.

I'm getting ready for the club tonight. Sienna said at some point she would make an appearance. I always have a good time with Sienna but I was really only looking forward to seeing one person.

I put on a short, skin tight, emerald green dress. With this colour, my jewelry would definitely stand out. I put on a pair of white René Caovilla's. I put on a bit of makeup and curled my hair, letting it fall down to my back.

I eagerly waited outside my apartment for the taxi to show up. Tapping my heels on the sidewalk, I began to feel nervous. I guess it makes sense to feel this way. After all, I really do like Nate.

During the cab ride, I contemplated how I was going to approach the situation. I don't want to seem desperate, so I'll hang out by the bar and see where the night takes me. If Nate wants to see me, he'll come see me. Well that is, if he's even there. I'm starting to doubt it, I'm a bit of an over thinker.

The place was busy, as always. I followed my plan, and went straight to the bar. After a few rounds of shots, I sat there feeling like a loner. Everyone else in the room was having a great time. They were all dancing and chilling with their friends. Jealous that they were having fun and I wasn't, I pulled out my phone to text Sienna. She said she was on her way, so all I could really do was wait.

At this point, I really had to pee. So I made my way back into the confusing hallway that was a bit more familiar this time, to find the bathroom. It's much quieter in here. The beat of the music softly hitting against the four walls of the bathroom. It was a good break from the chaos of the club. I fixed my hair, applied a bit more lip gloss.

I pushed the door open to head back to the source of the music. Trying to navigate once again, I first looked to the right. There were no helpful signs, all these doors look the same. Turning to the left, I was met with the same blonde that I never thought I would see again, the one that terrorizes my thoughts.

"Hey Zara, it's been a while," she said calmly as if she held the power in this conversation. It scared me even more knowing that she did hold all the power.

I stood there, unable to move, unable to form a few words. I just couldn't believe my eyes. Was my career over at this point? Did she come back to expose me?

"You're looking nice," Daphne said as she looked over my appearance. It wasn't genuine, nothing about her is genuine. But didn't care for compliments, when they come from someone wearing the most revealing dress I've ever seen.

Taking a deep breath, to calm my nerves. I finally found my voice, "what do you want?"

Daphne looked unfazed. Taking a step closer to me, as I stepped back. She shook her head as she pursed her red painted lips asking innocently, "is that how you treat your friend?" Only there was nothing innocent about her.

"Cut the shit," I said through clenched teeth. I was starting to get mad. Why would she think she was ever my friend? I didn't want to play along with any of her games.

"I just came to see you. I've missed my good friend," she said while reaching her hand out to mine, I quickly pulled it away. Daphne made a fake frown. Then she leaned close to my ear so I could hear clearly, past the outside noise. "You better get used to me being around, because I'm here to stay," she said as she smirked, and walked past me nudging my shoulder.

I stood there dumbfounded, watching her walk away. Did that really just happen? My breathing began to quicken. I leaned against the wall to steady myself. I felt like I couldn't breath. My life is officially over.