16. Brutalize

Imagination is the creativity of the mind.

I must be imagining Nate, that is the only reasonable explanation. The only bit of logic behind a bad scenario.

But the truth laid in front of me, I would be blind not to see it. The truth that made me feel as though I've been living a lie.

When Nate realized it was me, he lowered his gun back to the person who laid in front of him but I kept my stance as it was my only defence. I didn't know what the future held in this moment and I was scared for the truth.

I looked at Nate then followed the direction of his gun to the person laying hurt on the ground, wishing it wasn't true. Nate's eyes quickly turned from deadly to apologetic. It's shocking how fast the switch was made.

The bloody person squirmed to get away from Nate. You could smell the fear emanating off of him. Just then, I recognized the face which held the fear.

"Brad?" I questioned as I felt my world tumbling down. I looked back to Nate, seeing as his mind put pieces of the puzzle together, realizing just who Brad is to me.

Did I really think that I knew Nate? Was this all just a lie, a facade at my expense? I guess I don't know him at all because the Nate I thought I knew wouldn't be doing this.

Why was he hurting Brad, I mean I know he's a total dick but he doesn't deserve this.

"What the fuck is going on here?" I asked with my gun raised at Nate, knowing I wouldn't use it but I wanted to feel like I was protected. I needed to stop my imagination from running wild. The longer I stood there the more I knew this was really happening.

I waited for an answer as Nate stood there dumbfounded looking for the right words. But in this situation there would be no right words, nothing could fix this. Maybe it would heal with time but right now, it's only cutting me deeper.

Time stood still as we gazed into each other's eyes, only now was different from the loving times because there was my gun which stood between us. At the moment, I didn't trust anyone.

"He's not who you think he is," Brad said through jumbled words. "He's a mobster," he said as he spat on Nate's shoes using that as a way to show dominance.

"Like you're any better, shut the fuck up," Nate growled at him before continuing "Zara, I," before he could say anymore I interrupted.

"Is he telling the truth?" I asked hoping that Brad was only spilling another lie but somewhat knowing that Nate's words confirmed the truth.

"Well yes but there's more to it," Nate said cautiously, like he thought he would break me, but you can't break things that are broken.

I slowly started backing away. I couldn't do this. I wouldn't get into this world again.

I was pulled from my thoughts as my back collided with someone's chest then I felt the cool metal of the barrel of a gun touch the back of my head. Then, there it was again, the cocking of the gun. Now it was louder because it was right behind me prepared to shoot. To stop my beating heart and erase my existence.

"Give me the gun," the familiar voice from behind said as I looked back at Nate for something, anything. I wanted to feel the support and the compassion that he has shown me before, but there was nothing as he looked back at me with a blank expression.

I slowly lowered my gun and turned around to hand it over. Glancing into the eyes of a familiar asshole, Roman. Forgiving is bullshit, now I definitely don't like this guy.

I looked back to Nate feeling nothing but betrayal.

"Zara, let me explain," Nate said, looking somewhat hopeful.

I didn't want to be anywhere near him. But after all the time we've spent together, don't I owe it to him to hear what he has to say.

"I'm listening," I said looking anywhere but his eyes.

He began walking toward the black Escalade and motioned for me to follow him.

"No," I said as I stayed glued to my spot.

"No, what?" Nate asked.

"I'm not going anywhere with you, if you want to explain you can do it right here right now," I said confidently. I feel like I'm standing next to a stranger and I wouldn't follow a stranger especially one who just beat up my ex boyfriend.

"Here, sit," he said as he gestured to the edge of the sidewalk.

"Don't tell me what to do," I snarled, every little thing is pissing me off at this point. "Stop stalling, why did you do" I paused for a second not wanting to admit nor understanding what was happening, before I continued "that to Brad?"

"He was messing with my business."

To a normal person, I would have asked 'and that's the way you treat him,' but to the member of a mob, you just don't ask questions like that.

I stood there completely silent and blindsided. But then a question crossed my mind, "so was everything between us a lie too?"

"No," he said quickly. "You're the only thing in my life that I am sure about. Everything has been real. If you'll still have me, I'll be here because there's no one else for me. My story ends with you."

Would I be dumb to believe this after he fed me lies? I wish I knew the answer but one thing I did know was that I wouldn't be able to walk away now, it's too late for that.

I looked to Brad who was under Roman's watch and asked "what are you doing with him?"

No answer. I didn't want to know but I needed to know, I had a right to know.

We stood in silence, until the faint sound of sirens began. The closer they got the more deafening the sound became and the more my head hurt. Brad took his chance to run while we were distracted.

At the sight of the blood and guns blazing, the officers stepped out of the car following suit. They aimed in every direction until they met the sight of Nate. That's when they seized their firearms and began apologizing profusely.

What the fuck was happening?

I sat on the sidewalk as Nate talked to the police before they left, then he came over to me.

"So they are not just your friends?" I asked, looking for clarification.

"No," he said looking down and taking a seat next to me.

"Is there something you're not telling me?" I asked knowing something was missing. "I thought you wanted to be truthful."

"Zara," he paused, taking a deep breath, fearing his next words would change everything and they did. "I'm the boss behind it all."

I swear the world stopped spinning. I need to get out of here, that was my only thought as I got up off the sidewalk. I stopped hearing what was being said. My breathing was rapid, my vision was blurred, and then everything just faded away as the world of unconsciousness captivated me.