Chapter 22- Forage

"Glynne, let's spar." The boy stopped swinging his sword when Sakura declares so.

He turned his head towards her, "Eh, right now?" and asked in a surprised tone. It was still early in the morning so he was confused about the sudden challenge.

"You do not want to?" Sakura asked while tilting her head.

"Not that I don't want it but..." Glynne trails off while scratching his head. He was just surprised and wanted to asked why the sudden change of schedule. However, he just gave up and let out a sigh. "...whatever.., I'll go get ready so please wait a bit."

Sakura smiled and decided to wait as the boy requested. He moved to a nearby tree and discarded the weights tied to his body and the heavy sword before grabbing his tachi, which is leaning on the tree.

Normally, a spar would go with practice swords. However, as the training goes on, they switched with their real weapon to simulate real battles. The dangers of getting cut would force one to heighten their senses so they would not get hit after all. That said, they would immediately stop their blade if they judge it would hit and end the spar there.

He unsheathed it halfway to check the blade before returning it back. He then turned around while fastening the scabbard unto his waist.

"I'm ready" He declared before going to his preparation stance. His eyes immediately sharpened and didn't let any movement go unnoticed.

Sakura smiled seeing the determination in his eyes. She drop down into her stance and grip her handle. In no time in between, she has already draw closer to the boy.

Iaido, the art of quick draw. Sakura unsheathe her sword and goes for a fast upward diagonal slash.

Glynne quickly reacted and stepped back, barely dodging with a paper-thin margin. He skidded on the ground while twisting his body and reaching for his sword. He took a deep breath and arouses the Ki inside his body.

It takes him a while thus Sakura once again charges in for a second strike. However, she stopped midway and changes direction. On her previous position was a black blur passing by. It was the boy as he landed on the ground and quickly turned around, brandishing his sword.

"Ah, you saw through it huh..." Glynne muttered. Even though he sounded disappointed, it was within his expectations.

"I must admit, I did not expect you to learn so quickly." Sakura commented. It wasn't that long time ago that the boy struggled how to control his blade, much less know the simple basics of holding the blade properly.

"Well, it all thanks to Shishou." Glynne replied with a smirk. He had definitely learned a lot in just a short time. However, he strongly believe that if it wasn't for the woman in front of him that he would be able to do it.

"Is that so.., then I will take that compliment." Sakura said before quickly charging in.

The boy saw a tip of a sword coming towards his eye. He quickly raise his tachi to parry it but he was too late as it cut some of his hair.

"Well they had growing long anyways..." Glynne thought before deflecting Sakura's blade. He then quickly goes in with a side kick.

Sakura used her other arm to block. That said, it wasn't enough as she got blow back. However, there doesn't seem to be much of a damage as she quickly got recovered and hold her ground.

"She timed her jump, huh..." It is as Glynne thought, she jumped back as soon as his kick hit her. This cause her to lessen the force of his strike.

"Your kick is still as tricky as always." Sakura said while showing a soft smile. She had observed this during most of her early spars with him. Even though his strikes with the sword is still amateurish, the way he uses his legs is in a whole different level.