Chapter 4 - BBQ Party

"Are you feeling alright, Glynne?" Mei asked the boy by his side, worried as he seems to be feeling a bit exhausted from trying to explain what happened during the time he and Bronya went to do their errand.

"Yeah" he simply replied. Though he did managed to escape from the ticking bomb, called Kiana, he was still bombarded by questions by the others. Letting out a sigh for the nth time, he just continued helping in the preparation for the barbeque party.

Mei stayed silent since she did not know what she could tell to console him. After all the incident was partially his fault as the boy admitted himself. However, she move her head to glance over the main culprit.

For some reason, Bronya is having a stare down with Kiana as if they are having a showdown. Mei noticed they seem to be talking to each other but due to them being in a few distance away, she cannot exactly hear their words. Giving up on eavesdropping, she returned her attention to the boy besides her.

"Eh?" she could not help but let out a weird voice upon turning her head. She just look away for a minute but there is already a huge pile of meat kebab on Glynne's side. Her eyes naturally drawn to his hands. Grabbing a metal skewer, then putting in marinated meat and vegetable in an alternate matter, and repeat. The process was so smooth that she feel like if she blink once, she would miss it entirely. "You're quite skilled at this."

Glynne stopped for a bit when he heard Mei's comment. He got snapped out of his trance and begun looking around. That is when he noticed what he had done. He got an awkward smile on his face when he faced the girl. "...Well, I got to study from the best cook." Indeed, he did get taught housekeeping by the best maid of the world.

"Is that so" Mei replied with a gentle smile. "Though I think that's enough for the skewers for now."

Glynne nodded in affirmation. He admits the he quite overdid it looking at the amount.

"Hey, can you also help me with the other preparations?" Mei asked him. She is undoubtedly a good cook, evident with her delicious dishes that got the approval of her friends. However, she knows that she is just barely scratching the surface and that there is still a lot left unlearned. She had a feeling she may learn a thing or two from him.

@@@@@@@@@@

As the charcoal looking a bit grey and ashy, Glynne put a hand over the grate to check for the heat. Judging that it is the right temperature, he began putting in the pieces of meat to begin grilling. The pieces let out a sizzling sound when it touched the metal. A few minutes in, the sweet umami flavor spread around the area. Naturally, people were drawn in by the scent but since it is still not cooked yet, they could only wait and watch.

"Hm? That smells delicious!" the group was surprised by the sudden voice and turned their head to see Himeko has arrived from her work. She greeted everyone with a smile as he raised her hand.

"Welcome back, Himeko." Theresa greeted back the red haired woman. "You just came in the right time, we're only just stared with the barbeque party!"

"Oh, then it's a right call to buy this!" Himeko said and shows a plastic bag on of her hand.

"Himeko, are those beer again?" Fu Hua approaches, looking not quite amused.

"Just let it pass this time, Fu Hua. This is a party after all." Theresa tries to persuade the gray haired girl. After a few moments of thinking, she just let out a sigh and back down.

"Thanks... well I should probably get this chilled for now while I go get change." Himeko appreciates for the consideration. She then entered the summer dorm since the police uniform is getting a bit itchy.