Chapter 32

Gemma's P.O.V

"We're down here!"

There was only a brief moment of silence before heavy booted foot falls could be heard quickly descending the steps and not long after an officer with short dark hair cut close to his head and a pair of dark eyes to match came into view.

I'm sure we were a sight to see because his eyes visibly widened when he made it to the bottom step and fully took in the sight of us.

"Jesus Christ." He whispered to himself, confirming my thoughts, as he looked us over before quickly pulling a radio from his side.

"This is Sanchez. I've found them." He spoke into the radio.

There was another brief moment of silence, this one a little more awkward as no one uttered a single word and we simply stood there staring at one another before the two tone beep of the walkie talkie, followed by another voice broke it once again.

"Copy that Sanchez. What is your location?"

Officer Sanchez quickly described our location to the person over the walkie talkie before putting it back in its place on his hip.

"I'd ask if you two were okay, but I can already see the answer to that. So, let's just get you two out of here okay?"

I simply nodded.

The sooner we got out of here the better.

Archer was losing a lot of blood and he was swaying on his feet so much I was worried if he'd even be able to make it up the steps.

There was one thing that needed to be handled first though.

"I can get him up the stairs myself, but you have to stay with him." I gestured over my shoulder toward the man who was responsible for nearly destroying my life.

Twice.

Officer Sanchez followed my gesture with his eyes to Dox who was still laying in an unconscious heap on the floor.

I watched the unasked question form in his eyes as he looked back from Dox to us again.

"He's responsible for this." I answered his unasked question.

"He did this to us." I gestured toward both myself and Archer, a feeling of disgust and anger taking over as I looked at the poor excuse for a human being who would do something so horrible to another person.

Officer Sanchez only nodded once, understanding clear in his eyes before he walked over to Dox's body.

He reached for his belt, ready to grab the pair of handcuffs that sat there when he suddenly froze, his face going a little pale.

I tried to figure out exactly what was wrong as he stared not down at Dox but at something else.

"Is that-"

I followed his hand as he pointed to something to his left and suddenly realized what had him looking like he might lose his lunch at any second.

"That's my finger." Archer's voice cut through the silence.

Officer Sanchez's gaze landed on Archer and then slowly made its way down to his right arm and then to his hand that was now wrapped in the tattered remains of his shirt that was quickly soaking through with his blood.

Sanchez swallowed hard once then made quick work of handcuffing Dox before he pulled out his radio again.

"This is Sanchez. We're going to need a cooler here. Kid lost his finger."

Archer scoffed, still swaying on his feet. He looked like he might pass out any second now.

"I didn't lose my fucking finger. That bastard cut it off."