Chapter 2

"This is it. My life is over!"

I fell to the floor and covered my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Oh the pain! The horror!"

"Gemma."

"What am I going to do?!"

"Gemma." The voice persisted.

"This is it! The end of Gemma Conners as you know it!"

"Gemma!"

I slowly opened one eye to peek up at my mom.

"Yes?"

"I found your swimsuit, it's right here."

My mom held up my new blue and black polka dotted bikini that I'd been looking for for the last hour.

"How'd you find it? I looked everywhere for that thing." I asked as I quickly stood up to take the bikini from my mom.

"It was in your closet."

"What?! I checked the closest three times and couldn't find it anywhere."

"Mmhmm." My mom gave me that look. You know, the one that all mom's have and give their kids when they don't believe them.

"I did." I said again, trying to convince her.

"I'm sure you did. Now are you all packed?" My mom asked eyeing my over stuffed suitcase.

I walked over to my bed where my suitcase was laying and tossed the bikini inside before struggling to zip it up.

Once it was zipped I turned to face my mom with a smile on my face.

"I'm all packed."

I was beyond excited for this week. Tomorrow I'd be leaving to spend a week in Hawaii with the rest of my senior class for our senior trip.

I'd been looking forward to this day almost as much as I had been looking forward to graduating.

"You didn't forget anything did you? You have your toothbrush, extra underwear, socks-"

"Mom for the hundredth time, I have everything okay? Stop worrying." I said cutting her off.

My mom sighed before nodding.

"Besides shouldn't you be starting on dinner?" I checked the clock on my night stand which read 5:30.

"Archer should be here soon."

My mom's eyes widened as she noticed the time.

"Oh my goodness you're right!" My mom turned and quickly rushed out of the room. A few seconds later I heard her hurried footsteps running down the stairs.

I smiled and shook my head.

My mom had been begging me to invite Archer over for dinner before we left for our trip. She was convinced this was the last time she'd be able to have dinner with her 'son-in-law' as she liked to call him, for a while.

I kept telling her we'd only be gone for a week then we'd be back for the rest of the summer until college started where Archer and I both would then be attending NYU but she was having none of it.

I dragged my heavy suitcase off the bed and sat it near my closet before heading back to my bed and plopping down on it with a sigh.

I couldn't believe I'd be starting college in just a few months. I remember only a few months ago I wasn't even sure if I was going to see daylight again. I tried to keep that memory buried as far I could in the back of my mind but sometimes, like when I went to sleep at night, I couldn't help but relive it.