Chapter 28

Archer's P.OV.

I felt horrible.

The moment I watched that bastard drag Gemma up those stairs my choice had already been made.

I was going to go after her.

I kept telling myself that there was no way I would have been able to find everyone else in time anyway.

Or at least that's the excuse I kept telling myself. In reality, had they been right there in front of me and I was given the choice I still would've chose Gemma.

To be honest, there was no one in that group that meant more to me than Gemma and that's why making my decision had taken only a split second.

It's also what made me feel awful.

They were all probably dead and it felt like it was somewhat my fault.

What if I could've found them in time and got them all out?

I instantly shook my head.

There was no use in thinking about it now. All it would succeed in doing is slowing me down and I couldn't afford to be slow.

Not now.

Not when Gemma was with him.

I had just made it up the steps they had went up not that long ago and came face to face with a large clearing that eventually turned into a large forest a few yards in front of me.

I took a look around the clearing searching for any sign of where Gemma and that psychotic asshole could have gone so quickly when I spotted a white van not too far off by the edge of forest.

I could see the exhaust coming out the tail pipe and the back lights were on letting me know it was running.

Not wanting to waste anymore time I instantly headed for the van.

I had just made it to the edge of the clearing a few feet from the van when a loud explosion sounded behind me and not long after I was literally knocked off my feet.

I was propelled forward and landed face first in the grass, stray branches and stones digging into my palms and face.

Ears ringing, I rolled onto my back with a grunt before slowly propping myself up on my elbows.

My heart instantly dropped into my stomach as I watched the hotel I was in only moments before, go up in a cloud of dark smoke and flames.

I only had a few seconds to stare at the sight before me before my attention was drawn to my left.

The van!

I watched as it immediately accelerated and took off down the edge of the clearing before hooking a sharp left and disappearing down a trail straight into the forest leaving only a cloud of dust in its wake.

I quickly clambered to my feet and had to use a nearby tree for support as the world seemed to spin and tilt on its axis.

I only allowed myself a few seconds to catch my breath and for the world to stop spinning so fast in my vision before I straightened and headed in the same direction as the van before I lost it completely.

Time wasn't on my side right now.

I had just cleared about half the distance between me and the trail the van had sped down when the faint sound of police sirens met my ears over the sound of the blaze.

Turning to my right, I could just make out the ends of a few police cars and the blue and red flashing lights from where I stood behind the building.

Someone had finally called the police!