Chapter 30

This couldn't be happening. 

Not again.

Every time we were almost in the clear, this bastard would magically show up. It was almost like he could tell what our next move was before we even made it. 

Slowly, wary of any moves he made, I glanced around the hall. 

My eyes traveled around the hall and then up, and sure enough, in the left corner, right above the basement door, was a camera pointed right at the room Gemma was being kept in.  

Continuing my search, I found another right above the door that Sheep Mask was standing in front of and then another at the kitchen entrance.

Damnit!

How did I not notice them before? 

I heard a dark chuckle and tore my eyes away from the cameras and back to the man that was literally becoming my walking nightmare.  

"Are you just now noticing my toys?" He asked. 

Sheep Mask shook his head. 

"I have others that are a lot more fun to play with that I'm simply dying to show you." Sheep Mask's head turned in the direction of the basement door. 

I tightened my grip on Gemma, who, during this entire exchange, hadn't uttered a single word.  

"What do you say, huh? How about we take a little trip downstairs and introduce Gemma to my new toys since you've already seen them?" 

Gemma finally moved as she turned her head slightly to look up at me with wide, fearful, and questioning eyes. 

I tried to ignore her stare as I stared straight ahead at Sheep Mask.

"Like hell we will. We're not going anywhere with you." I said through clenched teeth. I'd be damned if I let him hurt her again.

Sheep Mask chuckled again. Like anything about this situation was funny.

"Is that a challenge boy?"

I froze at his words.

The way he just spoke. It reminded me of-

Suddenly, I was back on the train where all this mess had started.

I was sitting with Gemma to my right and Dox was standing right in front of me.

Dox was pressing the barrel of his gun to my forehead after I hadn't answered his question.

He was pissed, which seemed to be his default mood.

"Have you lost your tongue now boy? I'm talking to you. Now is the time when you speak."

Those words swarmed around in my head like angry bees as I stared ahead at Sheep Mask.

That voice.

It was all coming back to me at once like a punch to the gut.

It couldn't be.

Could it?

"You putting two and two together now boy?"

I couldn't form any words. 

There was no way.

Gemma, who hadn't seemed to have put the pieces together yet, was slowly looking between Sheep Mask and me with a worried expression on her face.  

"Archer? What's wrong?" 

I swallowed hard as I continued to stare at him. 

"It's you, isn't it?" I asked, finally able to speak.