Chapter 22: Soldiers

It was too much to take in

Blue didn't die in an accident, she was killed... murdered brutally, that was too much to take in for any of us.

As she stood there like a mannequin with blood running down her temple, Caden slowly sat in his bed not even taking his glossy eyes off of her. He looked like he was on the verge of either crying or screaming in pain while I tried to grab her hand again but couldn't. I don't even remember how I did it the first time.

There was this cold silence between us all and I was in the position where I didn't know if I should speak up or not. But I did make a decision. I said "Caden." He looked up at me with his lip quivering and his jaw tight as he tried hard not to break down. I stated the sad truth "We need to do something with this. We can't take it to the Sheriff, who now? Where should we go next?" And I was shocked when I heard him say "I-I don't know. I don't know, Sage. What should we do now?"

The only plan I could think of was uncle Gabriel. He was the only one with loads of experience in this kind of stuff. And he's the only one that could give me some support. I said, "We're taking a road trip again, Caden."

X

Caden was too depressed to drive so I took over for him. Blue was sitting in the backseat, depressed too. I did not like the vibe in the car at all. I missed Caden's sarcasm and I missed Blue's pop up ghost jokes. But given the circumstances they've gone through the past hour, it's all understandable.

This time I packed as much iron as I could find in his house. A cleaver, a baseball bat, an iron rod I found in his garage, and a spatula.

I don't care what Caden says, the spatula is helpful when it needs to be, even if its either flipping pancakes or keeping ghosts away.

We reached the same detour and I parked the car to the side of the road. I got out and took the things from the trunk. The only subtle option for me was the baseball bat and the spatula. The cleaver and the rod didn't make any sense to bring to the home.

And yes, a spatula does make sense!

Caden grabbed the spatula and made his way inside the woods without me. I sighed and followed him.

Weirdly, there weren't any ghosts at all. None at all. But I had a gut feeling that something wasn't right at all.

As we kept walking, I got my shoelaces stuck on a branch. I whispered under my breath "Not now!" As I kneeled to free my laces, Caden still walked without looking back. But weirdly the hair on the nape of my neck stood up. Goosebumps all over my body as I felt a rush of cold air. Looking up, I saw the same female ghost that attacked Caden last time and she was running towards him. I shouted at him "Caden! 6 O clock!" But before he could even prosper what I meant, the ghost pinned him hard against the thick giant tree where the hanged men appeared on the branches.