Chapter 43: Liar Liar, I hope You're On Fire

I know that you'll never feel like I doI will break into pieces right in front of youI will burn down the city and string up the nooseAnd you'll watch in wonder

I will break into pieces right in front of you
I will burn down the city and string up the noose
And you'll watch in wonder

SAGE POV

I open my eyes to the sounds of a machine beeping and crying.

By the sunlight in my room, I could tell it was the next day. Everything hurt and I grunted as I tried to sit up but instantly I felt a hand push me back down with a soft voice "Sage, stay down." I nod because it was a good idea. As I finally lay back down, I look up to see Crescent with a weak smile on her lips. She looked like shit with dark circles under her eyes and pale too. Moving my head to the source of the crying, I see mom in Dad's arms as he tried to comfort her.

I say with a dry throat "Hey, guys." They look up at me and ran towards me. Mom puts her soft palm against my cheek and says "How're you feeling?" I reply "Like I've hit my head against the floor." I scoffed at myself because it was kinda ironic. Mom cries again "Who keeps doing this to you, baby? Why do you get hurt so much? You have bruises on your face, you've split your head open twice, one behind and the other on your temple. Baby, please tell me what's wrong? What is it that you're not telling us?" I shook my head "I told you, I will tell you everything when it's time." Dad looks at me with sadness and disappointment in his eyes "Sage, you need to tell us what happened to you. The cops are outside, they wanna know who keeps doing this to you." Before I could answer, the door opens, and in walks the only person I didn't expect to see while I'm really weak.

PLAY THE SONG

The sheriff.

He looks fresh like nothing happened last night. The cut was still on his cheek but he walks towards me with a smile. Crescent was already uncomfortable with him being in the room and I could tell that she saw his face last night. He looks at me and says "Sage, you can't protect the people forever. You need to tell us how you get these bruises and who gives them to you? Is it a guy in school? Your neighbor? Anyone. Just tell us and we'll protect you."

I wish I could scream right now at him that he was the reason behind everything in my life. In our life but I couldn't. Mom had hope in her eyes that I will open my mouth, give him the name, and everything will be fine. But it won't be. I hated the fact I was in pain- weak while he stood there in his uniform that he probably doesn't deserve. He took everything from me, he took Blue and uncle Gabriel. He was the cause of the hole in my soul that I feel getting bigger as every second passes.

I was angry, so fucking angry but I was trying to keep it all in. All I wanted to do was control all the ghosts in this town and set them to kill him right then and there but I couldn't. I was still hanging to my soul by a thread. A very thin weak thread.

I felt Crescents hand in mine and I look at her in surprise. I see now why uncle Gabriel had a special place for her in his heart. Her silence was louder in this room, and by the way she was looking at me, I knew what she meant. She was begging me to stay in control.