Chapter 1: New Town

Stupid town

Stupid town.

Stupid Job.

I hated this so much. Why did we have to move to Maple Town? A fucking town that no one even knows about. Leaving all my friends behind in New York. Leaving behind the apartment I grew up in. I couldn't stop myself but think of all my friends at the skateboard park back home. Having fun without me. Learning new cool tricks on their skateboards.

I scrolled through Instagram looking at their post from today. Posting all about skateboard and shit. Check my best friend's story and it said 'Will miss you, bro'. I reacted to the story with a crying face and a broken heart.

Looking out the window, we were still nowhere. Literally. I listened to Kaleo's way down we go on full blast on my voice cancellation headphones. Trying to block the outer world, also known as my parents. That's until I felt something being thrown at me. I noticed that it was popcorn thrown at me by my mom. I took my headphones off and said "Yes, Mrs. Asher?" She smiled "Really, Sage? Are we still doing this? Even after six hours of a road trip?" I squinted my eyes and said out loud"YES!"

I heard dad chuckled and asked, "What's so funny, Mr. Asher?" He looked at me through his mirror"You, Sage. You is funny." I rolled my eyes and said, "I need an emancipation from you both." I huffed and rested against the seat. He said"Aww Sage, don't be a sour-puss. I know you'll love it in Maple Town" I reasoned"My friends asked me where I was moving and I told them that. And apparently, none of them knew there was a town named Maple until now! Why couldn't it be Mystic Falls or Beacon Hills, dad?"

Mom said"It's a great town. Your dad grew up in it till he was sixteen." I looked at dad"Is that true? Why'd you move?" He replied, "Your papa thought it will be better for his tobacco business to move to a nice big city but when he did, it didn't work out."

"See! Even papa thought this town wasn't worthy enough."

"Didn't you hear me? His business failed, Sage."

I wrapped my arms against my chest and sat back again as I listened to some angry music to calm myself down.

I think I slept because I felt someone pulling my headphones and say"Sage... baby wake up." I opened my eyes and it was mom"We're here." I got out of the car and stretched as I looked up at the house. I heard Dad say"Isn't this nice? A three-story house." As he took out the boxes from the back of his van. He continued"Better than living in a cramped up apartment in New York." I rolled my eyes.