Chapter 24: Sunflower

I don't wanna make you feel badBut I've been trying hard not to act a foolSunflower

But I've been trying hard not to act a fool
Sunflower

Caden dropped me home at 3 AM

As I went inside through the door, mom and dad were up. Dad was raging in his chair while mom stood there with a hand on his shoulder to calm him down. Before I could say anything, dad beat me to it. He said "Look at your phone, Sage. Do it."

When he's calmly pissed... that shit is scary.

I looked at mom but she was angry too. Dad again said, "Sage, I told you to look at your phone." I took my phone out from my pocket "How many missed calls? Tell the exact number, Sage." I mumbled "35 miss calls from mom and 40 from you." He nodded his head "That's right. Which makes that 75 calls from your parents, Sage. Now, tell me what time is it?"

"3:03 AM."

"That's right. I'm glad that you can still tell time if you can't add the numbers of missed calls from your parents."

He got up from his seat and I knew the show was about to go down "Where the hell were you, Sage?!" I stayed quiet because I couldn't exactly say 'Hey, dad. I'm currently trying to solve a mystery of a girl that got murdered before we moved in because I can see ghosts.'

He boomed "I'm talking to you, Sage!" But he didn't stop for an answer "I am so sick and tired of you. You come home late, you don't listen to what I say, you create problems, you're failing classes-" I looked up at him and he nodded "Yes, I found the test hidden under your mattress."

"You went through my room?!"

"I'm a concerned father. I can do whatever I want, Sage! You don't listen to us. Not me, not your mother. Ever since we moved here, you've been distant, delusional like your uncle Gabriel was."

'Is' would be the correct term.

I heard him snapping his fingers at me "And you lose yourself in your thoughts when we're trying to talk to you. You know you weren't supposed to get up from the bed. You just came back from the hospital. Answer me goddamnit!" I took a deep breath and lied "I went to a high school party, okay? It's Thursday night- well Friday morning now. And I went to a party. I thought it was a good opportunity to make friends because I miss my old ones."

I have officially turned into a liar. A big fat liar.

He raised his voice "THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN COME HOME AT THREE IN THE FREAKING MORNING, SAGE!" I sighed not having the energy to fight anyone as my neck still hurt "I am sorry, guys." This time mom was the one to raise her voice "Sorry doesn't cut it, Sage! You can't work through your way by saying sorry anymore. Coming home ten minutes late is when you say sorry not five hours later!" Dad scoffed "Are you going to stay quiet, Sage?"

I chose not to speak anymore. Not talking to them was better than lying anymore.

Dad said, "You're grounded for a week." I said "Dad-" he cut me off "Don't make me say two weeks, Sage." I stayed quiet. He continued "You're grounded for a week. That means no going out, you will come home straight from school and you will catch up on all your upcoming tests and homework. And no talking to your friends either and no friends coming home."