Chapter 3: Margaret

Tomorrow will be the first day of school and I was nervous as hell

I've never changed schools in my entire life until now.

I tossed and turned in my bed but I couldn't sleep. I was sweating. It was hot in my room. I grabbed my phone and tapped on the screen as it illuminated and almost burned my eyes out. The time was 2:40 AM. I kept it back on the table and closed my eyes trying to sleep again. The strong aroma of cookies hit my nose.

Is mom baking right now?

No, couldn't be. She's an early bird. When she sleeps, there is no difference between her and a dead person. But maybe because of the new house, she's stressed. She does bake when she's stressed.

The cookies smelled amazing and I could already tell they were chocolate chip. I wore my blue robe over my pajamas. I was trying to sleep without a shirt but that didn't work.

Tying the robe, I made my way downstairs. Dad's room door was closed. I went down the other stairs and weirdly the lights were off and there were no cookie smells anymore.

What?

I walked into the moonlighted kitchen. And there she was, at the sink, gazing out the window.

What is mom doing?

But her hair was black. Mom is a redhead. My eyes widened as I saw her back. She was wearing a yellow dress and an apron tied around her waist.

I looked to my left and the grabbed first thing I could see, the deadliest and horrifying spatula. Kept on the hot frying pan too long, it could burn your hand.

I slowly walked to her and asked, trying to sound authoritative"Who are you?" She turned around with a smile and said"Oh dearie me. You're home, Tim." She walked to me and I tried to create some distance between us. I asked again"Who are you?" Trying to scare her with the spatula. She giggled"Oh dear, are the night shifts not treating you right, Tim?" I asked"Tim? Who the fuck is Tim?" She smiled again"You are, silly. Why are you acting like you're not my husband? We got married not even six days ago. It's me... Margaret, baby. Your pumpkin poodle."

"Husband? Margaret? Pumpkin poodle?"

She giggled"Oh Timothy, I think the night shits are getting to your brain. And why wouldn't they, you're not even getting four hours of full sleep." I looked at her with a scrunched up nose and said"Huh?" She rolled her eyes and walked towards me"Now, listen to me, young man. I want you to sit down and let me make some sunny side eggs for you and then you're off to bed. Alright, sweetie? Now, sit!" My eyes widened as I pulled up the chair of the dining table and sat down.

Oh please, I'm too young to die. I got an adventure list. And on top of that, number one is to not be a sixteen-year-old virgin!

She put her hands on her hips and I noticed how she was dressed. It was like she came out of a 50s movie. With the yellow dress that had a poodle embroidered on the side. She was wearing a white apron that tied around her waist and her black hair up in a curly ponytail.

What the hell!

She walked to the kitchen and wouldn't stop talking"Now, where did I kept that spatula?" She looked around for it. I had the spatula in my hand and I hid it behind me. I couldn't give her the only weapon I had to protect myself.

She looked at me and smiled"Timothy, darling, you know a spatula is not a plaything for men, you silly goose." She cheerfully walked to me and said"Give time the spatula, darling." Holding up her hand so I could hand it to her. I shook my head and she crossed her arms against her chest"You give me that damn spatula right now, mister, or you will be spending the night on the couch without a cover in this cold weather."

Cold? The kitchen was boiling!

She again said, "Give it to me."  I shook my head again and she said"Fine! After dinner, you're sleeping on the couch, honey. And don't say I didn't warn you." She went back to the stove. When she tried to grab the pan that was already on the stove, her hand went through it. She looked at her hand"What?" She looked at me with a nervous smile and then tried to grab the spatula again. But her hand went through like she was a hologram or something. My eyes widened and I whispered to myself"Sage, you're dreaming. This isn't real. You're sleepwalking."

But this was too vivid for a sleepwalk.

She stood still in front of the stove and slowly and creepily her head turned to her left, to me. My eyes widened as I saw her eyes. They were like two little black holes. As in her eyes were burned out. She said"Why'd you do it, Timothy? Why'd you kill me for her? Why'd you burn my eyes out for Karen?!" She grabbed the knife from the board and tried to lunge at me. I screamed as I held tight on to the spatula and threw it across her, just to give myself a little time to get away.

As soon as the spatula hit her stomach, she was gone. Poof into thin air like dust particles.

What? Wait... what?!

The lights turned on behind me and I turned around and saw mom and dad. Sleepy eyed and hair messed up. Dad wasn't even wearing one of his fluffy slippers. Mom said"Sage, why were you screaming?" I was trembling. I asked"Did you guys saw that? Did you guys saw her in the kitchen?" Dad asked with one eye open"Saw who?"

"T-t-the woman, Margaret. You saw her vanished?"

Dad looked to where I was pointing and said"Buddy, there's no one there." Mom sighed"Sage, what are you doing up this late in the morning? You know it's your first day of school tomorrow and first impressions always last." I tried to make them believe me"Dad, there was a girl named Margaret in the kitchen. Dress like the 50s and had a poodle on her dress." He furrowed his brows that had one or two gray hair"A poodle? Sage, we're you sleepwalking again?"

"No, dad! I wasn't. I swear I saw her!"

Mom said"Oh honey, you were. You always knock down things when you sleepwalk." I looked on the floor for the knife and the spatula. Dad asked"Sage, honey, you're sleepwalking again. I get it, it's a new town, a new house, your unconscious mind can't rest, and it's okay. But you should go back to bed."  I sighed and nodded.

I walked up the stairs to my room and closed the door behind. Looking myself in the mirror, I had slight dark circles under my eyes.

Maybe dad is right. I think that scrawny dude was in my head all night long.

Sage, you were sleepwalking for sure. And that's okay. It happens. Go to sleep. We have school tomorrow.

You were only sleepwalking and it wasn't real. Nothing you saw was real.

It wasn't real right?

•••••

This is my fav chapter so far! Did you like it?

If you did then please vote and comment.

I'll see you in another chapter in one swipe up.

Bye!

Love, Hope
♥️♥️