prologue

things always go missing

❝ things always go missing ❞

☽ .* ・ 。

THE CHILDREN'S HOME wasn't exactly the kindest place one would expect to find the said children roaming the halls this afternoon. No less the addition of the auburn haired child practically being pulled by her braids to further herself into the unwelcoming environment. Dust was still present on the furniture despite there being plenty of staff to have at least tidied the place up. But why would they dare to do so? There was no need in their eyes as most of the kids who ended up here rarely ever got out anyway.

Hanging her head low and trying to take up as little space as possible the child was pushed up to the ladies wing, where some girls were still in at this hour of the day. Looking to the newest addition they whispered to themselves immediately to cause for her to feel uncomfortable in the situation she had been brought in. Now scurrying rapidly over to her assigned bed with the tiny drawer meant to keep what little belongings she had, the child turned over to the brunette on the other bed staring at her.

Not speaking a word she simply sat across to face her with both of them now staring at the other. "Wouldn't keep anything important out. Things always go missing," Her new neighbor warned to which she only silently nodded as a means of hearing this. Laying back to cross her legs and fiddle with a string on her sweater that had come out left her unaware of the girl in question adjusting herself to better see her. "You can talk, can't you?"

" 'Course I can talk, I'm just not in the mood to."

"Well, it'll do you better to not be rude about it."

The brunette extended a hand out to which the newest addition to the home stared in confusion as if she were unfamiliar to the gesture. "Melody."

Inching her hand up she slowly shook it in return before letting go just as quickly. "Katie." The girls separated for each to look around at the others also in a solemn state. Though it was hard to be anything but solemn what with their lacking any sort of tone other than grey existing in the home. "I'd rather be back out again."

Knowing from experience how cruel it could be out in the open with no real sense of protection or means of staying safe, Melody tilted her head to her interested. "Do you really mean that?"

Knitting her brows together to reflect on the matter she frowned, releasing herself from the tense nature she had to shake her head. "I suppose it wasn't all great. . ." The girl in front of her then lifted herself up from the seat to gesture a hand out kindly. Hesitating on taking it up the child budged out to the doors of the room the others were also held in. "C'mon, I'll keep you company until you're comfortable. If that time ever comes." Not thinking this to be too terrible of an idea she inched her hand above hers to hold onto it to have Melody then lead her off through the halls of the home.