twenty-four. faint of heart

you promise?

❝ you promise? ❞

☽ .* ・ 。゚

ADJUSTING THE LIGHT FIXTURE in the dark room the photos continued to drip on their lines as the young woman groaned with frustration over the task at hand. "God, this is so tedious," Katie muttered under her breath once she stepped down. Placing her hands on her hips she took a breath to admire her latest excursions in Iceland proudly.

The landscaping photographs of her new project were now scattered along the line mostly and planning another trip already even with the fatigue of her last one. Her hair remained tied up as she continued the development process with the utmost care, pleased with being able to see her set-up now thankfully.

Hearing a knock on the door she rushed over, nearly tripping on leftovers currently hung around the living room lazily and groaned over her own mess. "Coming!" She called out, brushing her hands onto her overalls as she opened the door.

Having answered it casually her state froze as she hung on the door over the individual standing before her. The Doctor cheerfully held up the box in his hands as he stood on the other side grinning. "Took a bit to convince the delivery woman I knew you." His face was scratched and with his laugh he cringed, nearly dropping the box. Thankfully Katie had gone over to grab him to now look him over in concern.

"What's wrong? Why do you look like that? Are—"

"Lots of questions, Hart but I don't have much time. I've got more people to visit." Setting the box aside she watched the Doctor looking around the flat with a grin. Wishing she had cleaned up she stood off to the side embarrassed as her friend had a look around. Seeing the boxes of take-out on the ground he motioned over to them with a grin. "Still has character."

Giving him a look she leaned up to examine his face closely. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with him other than the worn out look on his face. From where she was he was still her Doctor with his same face. Yet he was here in pain, meaning there was only one reason he was here. "You're dying?"

"Quite slowly too actually. It's the radiation." He cringed from pain but still stayed cheeky. "Still your pretty boy?"

"Always." The Doctor then passed a leather bag over to her to have her look at it confused. Seeing him asking for her to take it she did so, giving it a better look in her hands. Tracing the circles embroidered on the borders she looked it over curiously. On the thick hand on the handle were her initials etched in blue. "And you've come bearing gifts?"

He smiled proudly over to the bag. "For the camera. You've got it hanging around your neck. Bag should be enough room for a whole set-up." Confused by the phrasing of this she leaned into the bag for herself as it appeared on the outside to be relatively small. "Bigger on the inside. Little Timelord secret of your own."

Motioning towards the circles she liked to see she turned to him expectantly. "Your doodles even made it on."

Watching her be fixed on them he couldn't help to smile at the sight of her. "Well, they're not doodles, keep telling you that. Actually these say something."

"What's that?" He shrugged casually for her to tut under her breath but still admired the handiwork.

"Thank you." Setting it aside she folded her arms as she looked over him. This was their goodbye, Katie knew that. There was so much she wanted to say before she didn't have the chance. There were questions she knew she wanted answered, some of those she also didn't want answered given the circumstances. In fact Katie told herself it was better to not ask it at all, which led her to instead ask something else instead. "Do you know if we'll see each other again? After this?"

"Oh I don't doubt that, neither do you." The Doctor smiled at the thought as he answered her confidently as she held his arm to give him some balance. "Be a different face but I'd still enjoy your company."

"You promise?"

With that the Doctor made an X on his chest twice and then one on her as well for good measure. "Cross my hearts, Hart."

With the joke she shoved him as he continued grinning while leaning himself onto her. "Finally deciding to be cheeky before you leave me. Typical you." Holding him up by the waist Katie and the Doctor walked out of the flat in the direction of the TARDIS now situated in front of the building. 

Seeing him standing there for a moment made her heart pang at the sudden thought of never seeing this face again, not with her Doctor still wearing it and worrying it'd all be different after this. She pulled his arm back and he looked to her in worry immediately, having her hope that worry would stay with him in his next regeneration. That he would always come to her aid with the same look, even with a different face. "What's wrong?"

Tearing up Katie tried to build herself up to the action herself. She lingered in front of him for a moment seeing him glance to her lips before she moved to kiss his cheek instead. Taking him into her arms she buried her face to hide away the feeling, gripping onto the Doctor as she regretted keeping this to herself. "Don't take so long this time, alright?"

She parted to notice his eyes had welled up as well, brushing away a tear for her with a grin. "I'll see you soon then."

Katie stood there for a moment longer, the wind rushing past her as the TARDIS began to dematerialize before her and out of sight. Wiping away the tears with her sleeve she looked down to the bag with a light laugh. This time Katie had full confidence this wouldn't be the last time she would see her friend; not in the slightest.