seven. do as the romans do

we're not all damsels in distress

❝ we're not all damsels in distress ❞

☽ .* ・ 。゚

THE GIANT ZIPPER proved to be more than off putting on the figure before the two of them. "So." Katie folded her arms over to the Slitheen standing before them. "What's an alien like you doing in a place like this?"

Feeling the Doctor glaring at her she only kept her stance to watch them paying no mind to her humor. "An Ancient Civilization standardizing your modern human lives, what's not to love?" The gladiator explained, "Perfect for us to get our hands and change a few things. All we need is to move up to our higher powers and we have control of what your companion here would think to be modern in her day and age."

"That's impossible, you'd be putting a strain on the space time continuum with changing anything at all. Even you lot aren't stupid enough to do something as rash this," The Doctor retorted.

The Slitheen across from them only laughed, shaking its blobby head as it found the concern amusing. "What other options do we have left? We didn't exactly expect on finding you here to stop us either Doctor." Waving its large arm the other beside it now came forward to slowly move their way to the pair in front of them. "Now if you'll excuse us, we've got business to attend to. Trespassers!"

A group of gladiators came towards them, unknowingly passing by the aliens that were now gone. "Oh c'mon, that's no fair!" Katie exclaimed in annoyance, being grabbed by one of the guards. The Doctor stayed silent beside her, his eyes fixated on nothing at all as he began to think to himself. Noticing this she tilted her head to him seeming to waste time in her eyes. "Care to share anything with the group, Mister. Clever?"

He looked up to her, grin already on his face. "My Hart, they're just giving us what we want without even realizing it," He explained to earn a hesitant look from her, "Just trust me."

She shrugged to smile with him. "I always do."

The gladiators looked to them disapproved by their calm demeanor and asked for them to quiet down which the two did without a fuss. This act kept up until the pair were thrown into a cell with the door dramatically being locked behind them. The Doctor, as cheeky as he was, didn't hesitate to press his face forward between the bars to look at the Slitheen before him. "You really think you can keep me in a jail cell? Honestly, you'd think you'd know better by now," He said, only appearing to be cocky by the group he was addressing, "Not like you can keep us in here for long, I hope you know that."

The gladiators only shook their heads to him, disregarding what he was saying. "You're just another madman that looks pretty stuck in a jail cell. Shame you brought her into this too."

"Actually kinda forced him to drag me along," Katie raised her hand to chime in to say, "You get used to these kinds of things though."

Still at the forefront of the cell the Doctor debated this to himself. "Not like we get into these situations all the time."

"Oh be serious, it's more than every other trip."

"Maybe for you." He puffed his chest out in confidence. "We're not all damsels in distress."

Katie chuckled over his attitude on the matter. "No some of us like to lie and say otherwise apparently."

From the perspective of the individuals actually thinking they had successfully held them captive they ignored what they thought was nonsense coming between them. Katie watched the Doctor step away from the bars to now pace back and forth. Thinking the solution obvious she sat for a bit before suggesting it to him. "Try the damn sonic already."

He turned over to her suddenly, surprised by her brashness. "As a matter of fact I am going to use the damn sonic, but I'm just here looking for the lock." He put on his spectacles and went inside his trench coat to retrieve the sonic screwdriver from there and pointed it towards the bars. "It's too primitive for this state so they should open up quickly."

The doors did so as soon as he finished his comment and Katie stood up from her seat on the floor as the two of them walked out of the cell casually. "Now let's get this done and over with now so it can seem like we weren't looking for another adventure." The Doctor nodded in agreement, laughing along with her.

"Hold it right there you two!" The Slitheen from a corridor down caught sight of the pair and brought others along to begin to run after them.

Sharing a glance they each had a simultaneous thought between them. "Care for a run?" The Doctor asked.

Katie chuckled, taking the hand he reached out intertwine it with her own. "Thought you'd never ask."

☽ .* ・ 。

FEELING STIFF the longer they ran, Katie turned beside her to notice the Doctor completely unbothered by the amount of running they had now undertook to get out and away from the creatures no chasing them. "How haven't you gotten tired of running for so long, my legs are already giving up on me."

He laughed regardless, grinning madly beside her. "You ask me this every time and I always give you the same answer: You're just not used to it yet." Nearly forgetting himself the Slitheen still on their tail had they not groaned loudly towards the two of them, the Doctor set his focus back on the task at hand. "Speaking of which, remind me why we're running again?"

The Doctor stopped in his tracks as Katie quickly reminded him of the situation. "Hold on, they should be running from me. That's what was so strange about it," He said, making her raise a brow to him in curiosity as he turned back to the Slitheens that were making their way toward them.

"So all you lot have to control are gladiators? Not much power here by any means." He took out his sonic screwdriver and aimed it towards the group, causing for them to back away in surprise. "Now my friend and I have been easy going with you all, so I'd suggest for everyone to leave before I actually try anything."

The Slitheen only stepped away from them slowly, not suggesting anything which only caused for her to laugh. "Gee, you got a bit serious pretty quickly," Katie mentioned, looking up to see him crack from the blunt nature he gave them to grin over at her now.

"Can't let them think they can get away with anything now can I?"

"And what exactly do you expect to do, Doctor," The Slitheen beckoned as the Doctor turned back towards them.

Katie questioned this too and looked to him as well and watched him point the sonic up to the Colosseum, piles of rubble and rock falling onto us as he did. "Tech inside the structure of a building c'mon. It's an easy target," He said and the Slitheen roared in response, raising their arms towards him, "I assume you all are going to be leaving then."

They looked towards each other in simple defeat, nodding along. "Good I was beginning to get bored anyways." He took Katie's hand, urging her to continue on. "Let's go Hart, we've got places to be."

She laughed and nodded in agreement, leaning into him as he led them out. "How do you expect to know we've left?" The group asked from behind, half expecting a more serious threat from the madman now acting as if they hadn't tried to put one over on him.

The question only made the Doctor laugh in response and he turned back towards the Slitheen, eyeing them. "Do you really want to try and find out?" With that, they left in the opposite direction. Watching them sulk in defeat Katie was brought out of her thought once the Doctor nudged her. Bring her attention to his cheery attitude she couldn't help to smile at how pleased he seemed to be. "You were right, we deserve a much better adventure than that. Allons-y!"

Instead of arguing on the matter Katie nodded along to follow his lead. "Onto the next one then."