twelve. angel of music

welcome to the opera house 

❝  welcome to the opera house  ❞

☽ .* ・ 。゚

OPENING HER EYES slowly Katie began to make out the figure of the Doctor beside her. Slowly registering that his mouth was moving it took some time for her to be able to hear him fully. They were in a basement of sorts it seemed, empty aside from the two of them and appearing to be rather bland. "Katie, are you—"

"Yes, I'm fine. Always so worried," She called back to him before he could continue.

"...You know next time I won't ask if you're going to be like that."

Before she could say this wasn't going to happen, the pair were interrupted by a man coming out from the shadows. Behind him were two androids that she assumed were the ones that had assisted with bringing them down here. "Welcome to the opera house!" He clapped his hands accordingly which sent the androids buzzing towards their direction. Taking a pair of seats the Doctor were forced into them, restraints coming up around their wrists once completed with the task.

"Who are you? Why've you come here, the planet is meant to appreciate art not manipulate it to have your own bidding!" The Doctor told him in frustration.

The man only continued to laugh in amusement. "The name is Magrillo, dear dear Doctor." He waved a knowing finger in his direction which only frustrated him more. "I've heard of Timelords before, but I've never had the pleasure of seeing one up close. Didn't think I'd ever have the chance."

Katie turned over to the Doctor to see the expression on his face and was enough for her to become hostile herself. "You going to carry on explaining your plan to us or marvel at my friend here? I'm not really thrilled for either if I'm being honest."

Looking to see him smiling over the comment was enough to satisfy her, ignoring the disapproval Magrillo seemed to have by this. "Humans with their attitude. Always ungrateful." She only shined a wide-grin to him as he exaggeratedly shuttered in disgust. Pulling into his coat pocket the man revealed a simple black box. The Doctor adjusted himself in his seat nervously over the sight of it while Magrillo continued to explain himself. "Built this opera house myself you see. The androids, the orchestra, all of it."

"And that? What's that supposed to be then? Doesn't look too impressive."

Magrillo shook his head at Katie eagerly. "See, the box is what started it all; fell from a star and just came to me. It's a Rokathia black box you see."

Katie rolled her eyes in annoyance. "No? I don't see. Do care to explain-"

"The music." She turned to the Doctor suddenly confused, seeing Magrillo grow amused once noticing him catch on. "That music is used for telepathy. The box from Rokathia ships are meant to have them manipulate the minds of people with the sound of music; has them manipulate them at their will."

Magrillo began to grow furious at how much the Doctor seemed to know already from the look on his face and soon ordered one of the androids to pull down a lever to have headsets come down on their heads. "My androids here have been taking people from the show when they're distracted enough to power the box up to send out a signal to the Rokathia. That's why it came to me after all!" He grinned towards them, the shadows making him look more sinister. "You two will power it just enough."

The Doctor turned to me sternly as Katie looked on to the man confused. "What does he mean? Doctor." The headphones were placed as she was still searching for an answer from her head.

Music began to pour into the headsets, causing her to become engrossed in the euphoria being played through them. "Katie, fight the music!" The Doctor told her, frustrated himself it seemed.

Katie shook her head, feeling the lyrics fighting their way against her lips as the symphony continued to play through the headsets and made it difficult to do as she was told. Suddenly the door came down, revealing androids bringing someone else inside. Magrillo looked on to the new victim, causing for her to look up briefly to see who it was before-

Singing.

The Doctor began to grow worried as the lyrics escaped his friend, Katie growing weaker the longer this went on. "Fredrico! Grab the box now! If you're so talentless prove it." Katie looked on confused, tearing up at the loss of energy. "Sing."

Fredrico, without hesitation, went through the androids quickly as Magrillo looked on in anger. "Don't you dare boy!" Fredrico then sang loudly, revealing how tone deaf he truly seemed to be, causing for the music pouring through Katie's headsets to stop and have her stop singing. The androids began to break down one by one the more Fredrico sang, causing for Magrillo to clutch himself in pain. "What have you done!"

The restraints came up and the Doctor chuckled, helping his friend up with a smile. "Override that little black box. C'mon, you really think this was going to be successful?" The black box in Fredrico's hand began to shine brightly, as if it were to explode and Katie looked towards the exit and back to the Doctor, the two of them running out and away from the scene that was to occur.

The pair managed to get out of the opera house as Katie panted for breath once at the TARDIS door, jumping suddenly once seeing the Opera House go up in smokes before them. She stopped, seeing the structure go up in flames suddenly and turned to the Doctor frowning beside me. "They're-"

"The black box is meant to emulate talent. Fredrico having a terrible voice basically just caused for the box to override in not being able to fix the fact he's tone deaf. They're hard to break, just not impossible." He looked down to her. "That's why it happened. If you were wondering."

She frowned as a result, seeing him open the doors of the TARDIS as the building collapsed from the ongoing fire. Following behind him solemnly, Katie suddenly heard angelic singing sound from the fire. She looked ahead to see the Doctor surprised as well as he made his way back out in time for them to see Fredrico holding the fallen, charred box in his hand as he began to sing beautifully with a surprised look on his face. "He's alright," She said, laughing under her breath in relief.

"He must've gotten the musical entity of the black box now. Makes him have one of most beautiful voices in the galaxy." The Doctor laughed along with her and shook his head. "Fredrico Gobbo. Knew the name was familiar." He leaned against the doors again and Katie headed inside, the music of the night from Fredrico continuing on behind them as they left into the TARDIS.