12

Once upon a time two best friends, a Witch and a Valkyrie, were living happily on Midgard. They swore to protect the humans with their lives but still lived in a quiet forest. The house was small and had a garden but they still were satisfied. They loved each other and one could even say they were connected by soul. 

However, some people were disturbed by their presence, mostly because of the Witch. Even though the woman tried to heal them and keep them safe they were scared of her. And fear makes people do cruel things. 

At night they attacked their house in the forest and burned everything down. Both women ran away but the people followed them. They stabbed the Witch making her fall on the floor bleeding. This angered the Valkyrie and she didn't care about the people anymore. Her soulmate was hurt because of them and she wouldn't let them get away alive. In rage she killed the people leaving no mercy. Some ran away in fear while others were dumb enough to fight again. 

When the fight was over the Valkyrie lost her energy and immediately dropped onto the floor next to her soulmate. The Witch smiled softly even though she knew there wouldn't be any help for her. Meanwhile the Valkyrie couldn't stop crying and softly placed the Witch's head onto her lap. 

Even though around them the forest was burning, they just held each other.  

"I won't leave you.", the Witch whispered with her last breaths. She collected her remaining energy knowing there was only one way her powers wouldn't go to waste. A pure heart could be gifted those powers after her death. 

Soon after the Witch was dead but still the Valkyrie didn't leave her. She cried and prayed for the gods to bring her back but nothing happened. The fire was coming closer to her but she didn't care if she would die. She would not be leaving her body alone and she knew she used most of her powers so she couldn't carry her out of the fire. 

When the Valkyrie was woken up by rays of sunshine she blinked confused. Around her was a circle of green, fresh grass but beyond it was nothing. The fire had burnt down the whole forest. But why wasn't she dead yet? 

The Valkyrie soon noticed her friend's body wasn't there anymore. She wanted to cry even though she knew the Witch would be at a better place now. 

Still wondering why she didn't die the Valkyrie stood up. Surprised she felt more powerful than before, she went back to their house. When she saw their small house ruined because of the fire she kneeled down and prayed again. 

She expected the gods to help her but when she opened her eyes again she saw her hands glowing just like her friend's did when she was using magic. Shocked she watched as the house build itself up again. 

The Witch was still there in a way. She sacrificed her powers so that her friend would live. Now it was the Valkyries turn to use the powers for good. 

When Erika finished the story, her sister looked at the title of the book confused. 

"This story is way too sad to be in a children's book.", she said bluntly and wiped away a single tear from her cheek. She had started crying halfway through the story because of the fate of the witch but didn't interrupt Erika in reading. 

Meanwhile Erika couldn't quite grasp the reason why this story was so important. Or did she really just imagine meeting Frigga and her mother? Her gaze fell onto Gale and she couldn't quite overcome herself to tell her about the dream she had. She was sure her sister would believe her but something was stopping her. 

It was weird. She indeed felt more powerful than before but was this really magic? And why would the Queen give her these powers? 

"This doesn't make sense.", Erika whispered and Gale nodded even though she meant something different.