4

When Lady Erika awoke and sat up on the bed, she felt like being dead. Death was almost normal for Valkyries which was a scary thought for Erika. When she noticed big, strong wings on her back she almost began to cry. She tried so hard to forget what happened that day, what she had to do to all those brave Pegasi. She remembered waking up in the middle of the night in New York thinking she was on the battlefield herself. 

Realizing the appearance of her wings could only mean she was back on Asgard again, she sighed. All the things she did in order to live a normal life were worthless now. There was no point in running away anymore. 

The last thing she remembered of the battle of New York was a wall of bricks crushing her making her lose her consciousness. Stupid me, she thought. This could only mean Thor brought her back to Asgard revealing her and her sister's hidden secret of being the last Valkyries. 

When she tried to stand up, her feet barely held her weight. Anger filled her body for being so weak. Slowly she went to the door and opened it while letting out a sigh. 

Being back in Asgard meant her anger was back as well. Her anger at Odin. She couldn't tell why people didn't see through his lies. Dealing with her grief automatically meant blaming someone for the death of her Valkyrie family. And that one was Odin. 

Erika knew she couldn't tell anyone the truth. Nobody would believe her if she'd tell them Odin let all the Valkyries fight against his real firstborn, Hela. 

The moment she stepped out of the door small arms wrapped around her waist. 

"You're alive!", her sister cried and Erika kneeled down, because her feet were giving up under her weight. On the other hand she wanted to embrace her little sister. The two hugged for a long time and when they let go, Erika spotted tears in her sisters eyes. Softly she kissed them away, one by one, and then planted a kiss on Gale's forehead.

"I wasn't ready to lose you too.", Gale whispered. Erika nodded understanding the feelings and helped her sister stand up. Then she noticed the small, cute wings on the back of her sister and smiled sadly. 

"Lady Erika. I'm glad you're well.", a nurse said, coming down the hallway. 

"Andrea?", Erika asked in surprise recognizing the older, wise healer. Andrea nodded smiling softly and placed both hands on the shoulders of the sisters.

"I missed both of you. You've grown.", she said and pinched Erikas cheeks while ruffling Gales white hair. "I took care of Gale while you were sleeping." 

"How long was I out?", Erika asked confused. It felt weird for her being back at a place that once felt like home but now she felt like an outsider. 

"About one week. Every mortal would have died but my little Valkyrie is stronger than you think.", Andrea smiled and felt truly happy for the both of them. She was the most respected healer because of her wisdom and she was like a grandmother to everyone. Her heart especially melted for the two Valkyries. 

Lady Andrea lead them to the throne room, because Odin requested Erikas presence as soon as she would wake up. Of course Erika knew he wasn't going to welcome her with open arms. And neither was she.  

While the three of them were walking through the big hallways, Gale jumped up and down holding Lady Andreas hand. Lady Andrea informed Erika about the news. The wings on Erika's back were still feeling weird to her but she knew she'd get used to this again.

"Loki was the one who attacked New York? Why?", Erika asked surprised. She wasn't much older than the God of mischief himself but she remembered when her mother came home from the battle on Jotunheim and told her happily that Thor would get a brother. Her mother never explained much but now Erika understood better. 

Even though the god seemed to be a little trickster, she never expected him to attack Midgard. 

"I don't know, but I'm not in the position to ask. We're there.", Lady Andrea explained and then quickly left after being called by another healer. 

Gale grabbed Erikas hand after she noticed her sister shivering in fear. She didn't understand why such a big and beautiful place would scare her sister but she wanted to help. Erika smiled sadly at Gale and then opened the door to the big throne room. 

Erika almost gasped at the sight. Most people would describe this place as magnificent and fitting for the royalty. However, Erika couldn't look at all this gold without thinking back at her memories of Odin and Hela conquering the nine realms. She couldn't look at that gold thinking there was a time her mother once believed in Odin. 

"Allfather.", Erika greeted Odin when she stopped in front of his throne. Her voice was dripping of venom and she showed him a fake smile. 

"Lady Erika.", he replied and stood up. Sadly the queen wasn't anywhere around. Frigga was always the one who made Erika more comfortable. "I really hoped we'd meet under different circumstances."

"Or just never meet at all.", Erika added. Odin shot her a warning look but she knew both of them thought the same.

"Don't talk to me like that. I've already dealt with enough sarcasm of my son." Odin came closer to the two sisters. As a reflex Erika shielded her sister with her arm. If Odin would dare to lay a finger on Gale, she would see red.

"I'm sure we have other things to discuss than my sarcasm, Allfather.", Erika said seriously. "I'll get straight to the point. My sister is not going to stay here." 

"I'd love to have Valkyries back in Asgard.", Odin said, in his eyes a weird shimmer. "But I'd like to hear from Gale herself. Gale, love, do you want to stay here?" 

Gale got intimidated by this question and hid behind her big sister. "I'm not sure. I just want to be with my sister."

Erika turned around to her. She knew Gale would be safer on Earth but no one except her would take care of Gale. The older one knew she couldn't leave Asgard again. All her efforts to not come back vanished in a moment making her think it would be better to not even try. On the other hand she didn't want to leave Asgard alone with Odin.

"Would you like to stay here with me, Gale?", Erika asked but hoped her sister would decline. 

"I'll stay here. But- but will I see Natasha again?", she asked worried but Erika didn't even know who she meant. 

"I'm sure you'll see her again one time.", Odin said and gave Erika a winning smile, making her shiver in disgust.