Prologue

2 Years ago

"Mommy?" said a small voice that belonged to my daughter Kamille.

I was sitting down stairs in my office finishing up the last of my college homework when I heard her coming.

"Yes Kamille?" I motioned for her to come in. She walked in and stood in front of me with a sad expression on her face. "What's wrong sweetie?" I patted my lap and she hopped up in it.

"It was daddy-daughter day at school today" she looked up at me with burning gold teary eyes and my heart broke for her. "Everyone's daddies were there and mines wasn't. All the kids teased me and I got mad but sad too"

As I looked at my daughter and hearing what she had to go through today made me upset. It also brought back unwanted memories of her father Nicklaus.

"Sweetie did you do what mommy told you to do if you get really upset" when she gets upset or mad she would shift into her hybrid form and tear anything apart that was in her path.

I remember one time, she got so upset with our dog because it scratched her that she ripped it to shreds. I couldn't tell its head from its ass.

"Yes I did" she said softly as a tear rolled down her face. "How come my dad don't want me?" her voice was so soft and broken that it brought tears to my eyes.

"Sweetie it's not that he doesn't want you it's just he doesn't know about you"

She stopped crying and looked up at me, "Do I look like him?" she asked me out of the blue.

Instead of answering I opened the drawer to my desk and reached under a stack of papers and pulled out a photo that Nicklaus and I took in the mall photo booth.

I haven't looked at the photos of him and I since he left all those years ago. Looking at them now opened an old wound that I tried so hard to keep closed.

I handed her the photos and her face lite up with a beautiful smile. "That's my daddy!?" she asked happily.

I laughed at her giddiness to the photos of Nicklaus and I, "Yes sweetie that's your father"

"You look so happy" she said while looking at the pictures. I looked at the picture of Nicklaus and I kissing with a sad smile on my face.

I was...