VI. ROUGE & APOLOGIES

EPISODE 2: SHOCK AND DELIGHTCHAPTER 6

CHAPTER 6. ROUGE AND APOLOGIES

 ROUGE AND APOLOGIES

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heeding neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Daphne Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a duke? Could the debutante's mind not be the only thing amiss?

And what of Miss Diana Bridgerton, who has yet to be seen again, with a certain Mister Barnes. And, I do not know about you, dear readers, but I find it about time that we find out something about the unknow Mister Barnes. I do believe it would bring delight to some, while horror to others.

"MISS DIANA." ELLE SAYS, as she approaches me, in front of the mirror. "I believe this dress would be most suitable for the grand picnic."

"Thank you, Elle." I tell her, as I step into the dress, and she buttons up the back.

"You look a little pale, Miss." She tells me.

"It might just be lack of sleep, Elle." I tell her, as I sigh, and pick up two books to take with me to the picnic.

"You must not stay up late reading, Miss. It is not good for your health." She tells me, but I just turn to her and smile.

"I know, but it seems the books scream at me." I tell her, showing her the books. "'Just one more chapter, Diana, just one more'."

Elle smiles, as she shakes her head.

"I shall fetch some rouge for that pale skin of your, Miss." She tells me, and I just give her a smile.

Let it be known, dear reader, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.