X. TEARS & MATCHES

EPISODE 4: AN AFFIAR OF HONORCHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10. TEARS AND MATCHES

 TEARS AND MATCHES

"IS THAT HER?"

"The incomparable who captured the prince's eye."

"A mere wisp of a young lady, and a commoner at that."

Whispers flow through the room, as Mama, Daphne and I make our way through the court.

"Everyone seems to have quite an opinion." Mama comments, as we stop by the refreshments table.

"Everyone always has an opinion." I reply.

"How long do you think it will be before Her Majesty arrives?" Mama questions. "I may very well faint from hunger."

She looks around, and grabs a piece of food.

"Mama!" Daphne lets out, in disbelief, as I just smile at her. "We are at court!"

"No one is looking at me, dearest." Mama tells her. "That's quite delicious."

"Really?" I ask, grabbing another piece. "Oh, yes, they sure are."

Mama beams at me, but her smile dims a little, as she sees Daphne's worried face.

"My darling, you seem a little strained." She tells Daphne.

"You have been that way for the past few days." I add.

"I have much on my mind." She tells us.

"You do, indeed." I reply.

"Her Majesty Queen Charlotte and her esteemed nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia." The doorman announces.

"Miss Bridgerton, I find myself in raptures over your acceptance of my invitation to the palace." The Prince tells her.

"You flatter me, Your Highness." Daphne replies, as she stands in front of him, and Mama and I stand to the side.