XIX. INVITATIONS & ANNOUNCEMENTS

EPISODE 7: OCEANS APARTCHAPTER 19

CHAPTER 19. INVITATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 INVITATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham. Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name. Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby. While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge... somewhere.

"MISS THOMPSON MUST BE in agonies over these lies. Why can I not visit her?" Colin asks, desperately, as we all sit around the living room.

"Colin..." Mama tries to make him understand.

"Listen to me." Anthony tells him, sternly. "That the ton devours every bit of Whistledown's on-dit is the only thing keeping this family from shame. Because of her, no one believes you are the father of Miss Thompson's child. But if you were to go near her, they'll presume you responsible for her ruin, and your sisters will pay the price for your notoriety. Is this what you desire?"

"Of course not, but..." Colin starts to say, but gets cut off by the door opening, and Daphne walking in.

"Evening, everyone." She greets.

"Dearest!" Mama exclaims in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" Anthony asks her. "Should you not be frolicking in newlywed bliss?"

"I came as swiftly as our carriage would allow when I heard the news." Daphne replies.

"In the middle of your honeymoon?" Benedict asks, chuckling. "Hastings must surely be cursing the Bridgerton name for this. Where is he, anyhow?"