XI. CHAMPAGNE & WHISKEY

EPISODE 4: AN AFFAIR OF HONORCHAPTER 11

CHAPTER 11. CHAMPANGE AND WHISKEY

 CHAMPANGE AND WHISKEY

"DIANA..." MAMA SAYS, AS I sit in front of the mirror, and she approaches me from behind. "Are you alright, dearest?"

I snap out of my gaze, putting on a fake smile, as I fix my hair.

"Of course, Mama." I tell her, looking at her through the mirror. "Why would I not be?"

"Did you talk to Prince Louis?" She asks me, and I stop fixing my hair.

"I did." I reply, emotionless.

"And, what did you say to him, dear?" she asks, softy, and I turn to face her, sighing.

"I told him, I was not going to marry him, and he should not waste mine and his own time, pursuing something that is clearly not going to go anywhere." I reply.

"Darling—" She tries to say.

"What, Mama?" I snap, standing up. "What are you going to tell me that is supposed to make any of this better? What could you possibly say that will not make me feel the way I am feeling right now?"

She rushes forwards, and wraps her arms around me, and I grab her hands, sobbing.

"My sweet girl." She says, sadly. "It will not hurt after sometime." She tells me, as she supports me against her.

I wipe my tears, and look at her, as she puts her hand on my cheek.

"If you want to stay home, you should." She tells me. "Whatever you prefer, just tell me, and I will do it."

"I would like to go, Mama." I reply. "If I shall not, I would like to hide away in here all the time."

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge. Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.