The King is Dead

George was an outsider.

George lived in a small cottage on the outskirts of a town called Theron. But, George was not completely alone. George had Philza, his dad. Or what he called his dad. George never knew his parents and Philza found him when he was just a baby at his doorstep.

With the exception of the occasional town visit for resources, George never spent time with anyone else. He didn't mind however, he had his dad. The two had an inseparable bond and George loved Phil. 

"I'll be back in a bit, I'm going to retrieve some water from the well dad!" George shouted as he pushed open the oak door. The sun shined brightly on George's pale complexion. It was a beautiful afternoon.

If only he had known how fast his world was about to change.

As George lugged the now filled bucket with water towards the cabin he realized that the sun was now close to setting and he stopped to admire its beauty. That was until he was snapped out of his gaze by a shout from inside the house.

"George dinner is on the table! You're gonna go blind if you stare at the sun any longer!" George chuckled. He walked into the cottage to smell his favorite dish, steak with mashed potatoes. Phil really had a way with his cooking and George was convinced if they didn't live so far from town Phil would make a great chef in one of the pubs.

"Where would you like this water to go?" George asked. "Just right along the kitchen counter is fine son, thank you." George hummed in response and did as he was instructed.

"Dinner smells great as per usual," George stated as he sat down at the table, shortly followed by Phil.

"How did you sleep last night, George?" Phil asked.

George never really slept well and blamed it on his stupid thoughts that never seemed to leave his mind. He would often get up in the middle of the night and climb on the roof and watch the stars. Phil knew this and would sometimes join him and show George the constellations.

"I slept okay, thanks" George replied. He knew Phil wouldn't buy it but he would rather not get into details. 

George was halfway through chewing a huge chunk of steak when a knock was at the door. Phil and him never had visitors. Phil gave George a quick glance which meant for George to be ready for anything. George was an experienced fighter after all the years he spent training with Phil. He had to be ready for the worst. Especially because of the evil things that lurked.

These evil beings were called the Shadow Hunters. Only rumors were told about them. Except when it came to Schlatt and Minx, the heads of the Shadow Hunters. They were known throughout all the kingdoms and were constantly up to no good; killing innocent people, formulating plans to take over the King, and even practicing magic. But Minx and Schlatt especially didn't like the kingdom of Oryn.

George was forced away from his thoughts when he heard another persistent knock at the door. Phil walked over to the door and peered through the small opening.

"It's a knight," he stated. George gave his father a confused look.

"What do they want with us?" George asked only to be disrupted by Phil opening the front door displaying a man with dark brown hair, sunglasses, and expensive clothing.

"Hello, does George Davidson reside here?" A tall brown haired male asked.

"He does, yes," Phil responded.

"Well if you don't mind the kingdom requests his presence immediately. I am afraid the King has passed and George so happens to be next in line for the throne." The man stated.