Family

"God I hate the forest." A man said trudging through the mud under the trees following another man. "That's surprising considering you are basically a fucking furry." The other responded, laughing.

"Alex I swear to god, I am not a fucking furry I just think foxes are cute and-"

"Sure Fundy, whatever you say." Alex grinned. He and Fundy have been working with the Shadow Hunters since they were kids, but it was only recently they both have been working directly for Schlatt. Every now and then Schlatt would choose random Shadow Hunters and rank them up saying they have a 'bigger things to achieve' and being under his personal command will get them there. Alex knew Schlatt was a manipulative son a bitch but he knew no other life. His parents abandoned him, he grew up being a Shadow Hunter. They were all he had. 

There used to be a man that treated Alex and Fundy with kindness. Granted, the two were only 6 and 7 years old at the time but they still recognized when someone was nice to them. The others were always so serious and there was rarely any friendly communication so Alex and Fundy stuck together. But Alex and Fundy were beyond upset when their 'friend' disappeared. The man was much older than them but the two didn't mind. He was kind and that was all that mattered to them. 

Alex was broken from his thoughts when he heard loud sound in the trees a few yards away. Fundy shot Alex a confused look but stayed quiet. The two men slowly walked forward being as stealthy as possible. 

Both of their eyes almost jumped out of their sockets when they saw it was King George. Alex and Fundy were ordered by Schlatt to make sure it was actually Prince George that was crowed king, so they brought men around all the outskirts of the castle grounds to spy. Never did they think King George would come to them first.

Staying behind a thick bush that shieled them from been seen, Alex and Fundy sat and watched as George got up from falling. "That explains the loud ass thump," Alex thought. As they continued to watch they saw another figure come running to the king and he watched as they conversed.

"You want me to tell you I feel like I am falling apart? You want me to explain to you how I was ripped from my own house? You want me to tell you how I am weak I am? I feel like I am suffocating Dream! God everything just hurts, it's all too much!" George yelled.

Alex saw Fundy look at him from his peripheral but he didn't bother to make eye contact. Alex almost felt bad for George. He didn't know that George was taken from his life to become king. He could tell that George was a good person, just from first glance. Alex had no clue what Schlatt would do when he hears George is actually the king, but he couldn't hide it from him. When him and Fundy return, they need to tell Schlatt.

Alex and Fundy quietly watched as George and the other men held each other in their arms. Alex felt his heart break at that specific moment. He didn't want to hurt anyone but when you are a Shadow Hunter, you always end up being the reason for someone's death. Alex wanted to lie, he wanted to tell Schlatt it isn't really George. But he knew what Schlatt would do to him if he lied, he has scars to prove it. 

It was all going well until Fundy decided to reposition his crouching stance, his foot shooting back in the mud causing him to fall face first in the bush. Alex, reacting as fast as he could jumped on top of Fundy into the bush to hide their bodies.

Alex saw through the bush how the other man with George drew his sword and he felt like he was going to throw up."We are so dead." He thought.

Right as the man started to step forward, a deer trotted over, eating the berries of the bush Fundy and Alex were hiding in. This made this man step back putting his sword away and Alex and Fundy both sighed in relief.