Chapter 44, Carefully spun rumors

"It's strange seeing you without your inner gang, Xav," Hajime comments

I lean back in the black leather booth and glance over my shoulder at the crowd in the casino. Marigold sure is taking long... I hope she isn't dealing with some idiot. I don't quite feel like explaining why my wife has murdered some poor bloke.

"My inner gang is out on a mission to rescue someone. You've heard of the Rhodes name, right?" I ask.

Kenichi Hajime kicks his feet up on the coffee table in front of him, the purple neon lights reflecting off of his polished black boots. "Yes, I've heard of the Rhodes family. Owen was the last leader, right? What a tragic tale, ey. He had such a bright future and then everything went wrong for the poor boy. I wonder what his downfall was?" Ken takes a sip of his overly-decorated cocktail before he glances at me again. "Seems like quite a lot of people have had their downfall ever since your wife entered the game. Strange that she claims not to enjoy the killing."

I can't really argue with Hajime. Tygerwell has always been a bit chaotic but since Marigold has joined in, death has never been more prominent than before. I know Marigold herself isn't out for blood, but wherever she goes, death follows. Much like myself really.

And yet we are campaigning for a better world.

I sometimes wonder if we're the villains on the other side of this story.

"Yes well, Rhodes has joined my inner gang. They're out rescuing his sister from traffickers," I explain.

"That's dangerous business, Xav."

"My inner-gang are dangerous people themselves," I reply, taking a sip of my whisky, "They know better than to die without my permission."

"Exactly! I love that, uh, gen... that principle! I'm the same with my clan. Dying means great dishonor and to Yama-gumi, honor means everything. I make sure to keep the most loyal people close to me. Take Seki here. You see the Katana by his side?" Hajime says and I look over to where there is indeed a katana at the man standing close to Ken. Seki doesn't flinch and continues staring straight. "This katana is soaked with the blood of anyone that dared approach Seki in hopes he would betray me. And as you know, I have a lot of people that hate the idea of me being Kumicho of this clan."