Chapter 56, Hold my hand

When the sun slinks past the wall in the distance and night slowly washes over the land, I reluctantly get out of bed

When the sun slinks past the wall in the distance and night slowly washes over the land, I reluctantly get out of bed. Xavier's still sleeping, Polock decided to cuddle as well and the two are a sight to behold.

Being held by Xavier again... My heart is full and I feel my strength return to me. I am not alone. Even though the coming days might be painful, I won't ever be alone. There's nothing to fear when the villain is on your side.

Now it's time to take down the hero.

I take a quick shower before throwing on some simple clothes and a warm jacket. Leaving Xavier and my sweet Pollock in bed, I leave the room and head out. With the night still young,  there are plenty of families still going about, gambling and drinking. It's not surprising to see watch dogs patrol the hallways. I recognize a few of our own men as well.

That pair of barely audible footsteps behind me is getting annoying though.

I turn around and Tetsu stops in his tracks.

"Missus Marigold Jilten," he greets.

I give Tetsu a polite smile. "You look like an assassin," I joke, "With the dark outfit and katana. Not to mention the cool ponytail and tattoos. Are you sure you're not hired to kill me? It'll look pretty cool. I won't mind dying that way."

Tetsu doesn't reply and I let out a nervous chuckle.

"Alright, it's confirmed. You're my assassin. So tell me, when's the deed going down?" I joke, slapping him on the back and pulling him along as I walk to Kyle's quarters.

"I would never harm you, Ma'am," he says, straight-faced as we walk.

"Mmm-hm, sounds like something an assassin would say," I tease, "Hey, you're good with that sword, right?"

"Yes."

I keep the smile as I stare ahead, but it doesn't reach my eyes. 

"If I ever think about betraying Xavier. Please stab some sense into me."

"Will do."

We get to Kyle's door and so I turn to my escort, giving him a farewell wave. "If I'm not out of there in a few hours, I'm probably dead," I say and leave him behind as I enter the wolf's den.