Chapter 25, The end of Amber Marigold

A/N: Nice, happy chapter up next

A/N: Nice, happy chapter up next. No deaths at all :)

The kiss sets me on fire

The kiss sets me on fire. It's not a burn your hand on the stove kind of fire, or the smothering heat of a raging forest fire. It's the fire of a candle. Comforting and warm. It slowly melts you. Reminds you of something nostalgic. But stay too long and you will burn. 

Xavier's hands are still wrapped around me and I feel like melting wax in his embrace. I go weak all over, but I'd rather burn than let go and face what's waiting for me. I hear the crowd cheer and clap. Our friends run up  and are congratulating us, yet they feel so far away. I wrap my hands around Xavier's neck and I don't want to ever let go. 

Any moment now, and tragedy will strike. 

Against my will, Xavier pulls back with a wide grin. When he sees my expression, he stops smiling. "What's wrong Marigold?" he asks.

"We're all going to die. Any moment now..." I whisper with fear taking over my entire soul. I feel myself shake and my heart is beating out of control. Where are they? They're here somewhere. They're waiting for the right moment.

Xavier smiles sadly before he let's his one hand slide to my side and his other caress my cheek. "Marigold... nobody is dying today... Our plan worked. We're safe," he whispers back.

"They're going to attack when we have our guard down. It's happening any moment," I say in panic - frantically looking around. The crowd is still cheering and my friends already have alcohol somehow but my eyes are fixed beyond the trees. Why are the guards just looking at us? They have to keep their eyes on the wall. They have to watch out... I can't let my guard down. I have to be ready to protect Xavier in a moment's notice...

"Hey, Marigold, it's okay," Xavier insists - taking my face into his hands and forcing me to look at him. Those eyes are so reassuring. I don't want to see the life leave them... not ever...

I can't stop the tears and bury my face in his chest. "I don't want to see you get hurt. Please do something... They're here... They're going to kill us any moment now," I cry.

"It's okay, it's okay," Xavier whispers over and over into my ear - his hands gently rubbing my back. "I know things go wrong more than they do right, but it's not impossible to have victories, Marigold. Today is a victory..."